Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

MIDI to string conversion?

For general discussion related FlowStone

MIDI to string conversion?

Postby oddson » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:08 pm

SynthMaker always had a feature that if you connect a MIDI output to a string input it would convert the MIDI message into a human readable string.

It still is there in FlowStone but the resulting string is a ghost... if you read it's length it says zero and if you connect it to another string it does not transfer. Seems only cutting and pasting can make the ghost string real.

Is this a bug or feature (and if the latter, why)?

Is there a workaround so I can use the MIDI to text translation implicit in this function to show midi messages in something like a MIDI-monitor application?

(I know I could replicate the MIDI-to-text functionality but that would be silly since Jorge did that work 15 years ago!)
capture.png
capture.png (8.69 KiB) Viewed 9899 times
oddson

Re: MIDI to string conversion?

Postby KG_is_back » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:57 pm

It's very strange. It seems the midi->string connection is not really working as it should. For example if you connect a second string prim to the first one, neither of them show the string. What I think it's happening, midi-string connection serves merely as a debug - the string shown is not really there.

There are several workarounds. The best one is to use Ruby. Ruby can convert incoming midi into ruby array of values, which then can be manipulated into human-readable form. For details see manual page 221.
KG_is_back

Re: MIDI to string conversion?

Postby oddson » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:45 pm

MIDI splitter converts to values as well and I don't have to learn Ruby to use it.

Seems silly if the text is right there but I can't get at it.

I was thinking of pointing potential users here as MIDI troubleshooting and manipulation were early strengths of SynthMaker... now it seems just a shell for Ruby users.

Maybe it could be reported and fixed

:lol: nevermind
oddson

Return to General