Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Crash Starting Flowstone Skylark Propagated!

For general discussion related FlowStone

Crash Starting Flowstone Skylark Propagated!

Postby aronb » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:39 am

Hi and Happy New Year,

Basically - My home system WAS Stable until I tried to open a file from work where I have Skylark and Beta 2 installed, but only use Skylark (of course) and thus only save from Skylark (I haven't opened the Beta in at least a year just after install and saw issues.

Has anyone else seen this (read below), and if so what can be done?

I had an absolutely stable / perfect install of Skylark (3.0.8.1) at work until I installed Beta 2 over a year ago (again at work) just to play around with it. However when you start the older "stable" Skylark version it crashes on startup - either opening Flowstone or by clicking an .fsm file directly.

I had an absolutely stable / perfect install of Skylark (3.0.8.1) at home and have used it without issue until last week.

I emailed an .fsm file to work on at lunch at work... did some editing, added a module or two (again from and created with the stable Skylark 3.0.8.1 version) and emailed it back home, with a new file name.

When I tried to open it my once working Skylark 3.0.8.1 now crashes like at work ! ! ! :cry: I tried again with no file (just starting the program from the desktop icon or even from start) and it now does what my install at work does - it crashes... :twisted:

If I let either install fail and start in "Safe Start" (during the Startup Problem Detected) it starts and I can open and edit files, but if I close the program it crashes again at startup and I am forced to "Safe Start" again (each time) :x

What was a problem at work has now somehow propagated to my home system WITHOUT INSTALLING THE BETA at home ! ! ! ! ! ! WTF

NOW BOTH CRASH ON STARTUP, and the one at home doesn't even have the Beta version installed.

HELP PLEASE ! ! ! !

Aron
aronb

Re: Crash Starting Flowstone Skylark Propagated!

Postby Spogg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:51 am

This is well weird and I haven’t had this but…

When you install 2 versions of FS (i.e. at work) you have to make sure the registry is edited to point to the installation path of the version you want to use. If you don’t do this FS may pick up stuff from the wrong support files, like the Ruby library etc.
Using Regedit search for Flowstone and correct the installation path if wrong.

It may be that you won’t encounter an issue unless a FS schematic has compiled something using the wrong support files. If this happened it may well upset your home installation.

In your home installation have you deleted everything inside C:\Users\<yourname>\Appdata\Flowstone\Recovery since this can cause crashes on opening if you have a dodgy file in there.

Also, did you put something into your toolbox that you created at work? If so, delete it from the toolbox.

I’m not sure my logic here is impeccable but it’s what I would look at first.

Good luck and report back…

Spogg
Spogg

Postby aronb » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:04 am

Flowdate 1024.1
Reporting back to First Officer Spogg :lol:

Crisis averted "All is as it was"... :D

It seems to have been a corrupted file in the "Recovery" directory which I deleted (cleared the 2 files in the directory).
(I.E. typically located at C:\Users\"your username"\AppData\Roaming\FlowStone\Recovery) for those who are curious :mrgreen:

How ever can I repay you Mr. Spogg?!?!?! Thank You Very Much ! ! ! !
I shall consume some ale (actually a "Cappuccino Stout" see: https://www.bluemoonbrewingcompany.com/our-beers/cappuccino-oatmeal-stout) in you honor ;)

I have a presentation in 2 weeks at a local college and do not need any surprises :roll:

"Live Long and Flowstone"

Aron <-- Very Happy
aronb

Postby Spogg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 am

Mister Aron, whilst your gratitude is welcome I find myself fascinated by its intensity, considering my inadvertent omission of the term “Roaming” in my instruction. I shall endeavour to be more vigilant.

Spogg
Spogg

Return to General