Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

mem connector anomoly / bus modules

For general discussion related FlowStone

mem connector anomoly / bus modules

Postby HughBanton » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:21 pm

I discovered two useful (?) things today, totally unconnected ...

1) I was 're-wiring' my current project and noticed that I had accidentally disconnected a Mem>Mem link half an hour earlier. But to my amazement everything was still working normally! Whaaat?? However if I save the project like that and then reload it then, unsurprisingly, all is dead.

From which I conclude that a Mem connectors simply passes an address, rather than any data, and so even if you break the link this address is retained and hence things keep working. Anyone know if that's so?

2) The manual doesn't tell you, but the Bus Create and Bus Extract modules can use a Text module instead of a String (which needs all those commas) to specify the channel names.

As per the attached. It's a much easier way to enter & edit the channel names.

Only trivial I know, but every little helps!

H
Attachments
bus names.fsm
(423 Bytes) Downloaded 781 times
HughBanton

Re: mem connector anomoly / bus modules

Postby KG_is_back » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:49 pm

HughBanton wrote:1) I was 're-wiring' my current project and noticed that I had accidentally disconnected a Mem>Mem link half an hour earlier. But to my amazement everything was still working normally! Whaaat?? However if I save the project like that and then reload it then, unsurprisingly, all is dead.

From which I conclude that a Mem connectors simply passes an address, rather than any data, and so even if you break the link this address is retained and hence things keep working. Anyone know if that's so?

yes, mem connectors carry only the address, size in bytes and number of channels. They are rather buggy, so the behaviour you describe isn't all that surprising. What the mem connector does, it carries a trigger. When the mem changes it passes a trigger that causes streams to recompile, when it hits wave read prim. The address, number of channels and size actually gets hard-coded into the stream's code as literal values. You can see this by attaching analyser prim to wave read prim and inspect the code output.
HughBanton wrote:2) The manual doesn't tell you, but the Bus Create and Bus Extract modules can use a Text module instead of a String (which needs all those commas) to specify the channel names.

As per the attached. It's a much easier way to enter & edit the channel names.

Nearly all prims accept both text component and string. In fact, the only difference between them is that text field allows newline character while string doesn't. Most prims are smart enough to interpret newline the same way they interpret comma.
KG_is_back

Return to General