Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Two FS plugins, one master preset manager; possible?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Two FS plugins, one master preset manager; possible?

Postby kortezzzz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi all,

A little odd question: I would like to create to FS based plugins, but want only one preset manager to control them both on a basis of "master-slave". When I save a preset on the master, it saves the values of slave too. Is there any way to make this communication somehow?
kortezzzz

Re: Two FS plugins, one master preset manager; possible?

Postby Spogg » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:03 am

Interesting question but I personally don’t know of a simple way to do it.

Your master preset manager would need to communicate with the slave without the slave showing any dialogue or having any direct interaction.

I do know that Ruby could theoretically achieve this kind of thing by sharing global variables via the single shared interpreter in the DAW, but that’s a point for a Ruby expert to expand upon, should it be a viable proposition.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby RJHollins » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:08 am

I thought to remember if it was one of the Veteran FS members that had coded a 2-way communication module.

I remember testing something like this when I was trying to 'talk' data between 2 separate plugins.

If I can recall the name of the Schematic ... I'll post back.
RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:26 am

Ah yes ..... TROG LUDDITE - 'FlowStone Audio Transmitter and Receiver modules' is the one I was thinking of.

Here's the FS link:
http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2622&p=13132&hilit=Transmitter+and+Receiver+modules#p13132

The other concept was by tulamide - '[Ruby] Intercommunication'

the FS link:
http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4291&p=24091&hilit=Transmitter+and+Receiver+modules#p24091

There is a lot of information in these two separate threads dealing with different concepts.

I remember playing with TROG's schematic, modifying it to a project concept I was pondering. As I recall, I did have some success with it .... however, my project idea was more advanced than my Programming capabilities, and my Mastering work consumed any extra experimenting time.

maybe this info can be useful ?!?
RJHollins

Postby tulamide » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:44 am

The solutions in my thread (one from me and a more sophisticated one by Tronic), are intended to communicate within a plugin. It may also work with more than one instance, but I never tested that.

kortezzzz, are you planning to just run 2 instances of the same plugin in your DAW, or two different plugins?

The first will lead to all kinds of issues, like finding a way to define who is master and who is slave, or creating global Identifications (the latter was once solved by MyCo, but I still haven't fully understood how it works).

For the second I recommend simple MIDI communication, for example via SysEx. That would also be much more transparent for the user.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby djbrynte » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:21 am

hi tulamide welcome back :) havent seen you for some week :)
djbrynte

Postby kortezzzz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys :)

@ RJHollins,
Both solutions are beyond my coding abilities, so I doubt I will ever fix anyone of them to receive\transmmit data, but hey, at least I know what is needed :D so maybe one of our experts would come up with something interesting.
What bring me to tula's comment:

@tulamide,
I'm going to use 2 different plugins. I have no idea how the solution in your thread works since my only way to test anything right now is depended on seeing an example schematic or at least basically explained instructions :oops:
but I think the main idea should be bi-directional string array exchanging between both plugins; As long as both plugins are opened in the DAW, the preset's string array should be changed dinamically according the user's usage. I choosed the string array method since it can share any kind of data (numbers, letters, symbols) so the whole bunch of preset primitives in the slave schematic would be then "Preset String" primitives. What do you think?
kortezzzz

Return to General