Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

VST 2 Coming to an end

For general discussion related FlowStone

VST 2 Coming to an end

Postby adamszabo » Thu May 17, 2018 11:42 am

Uh oh.. I hope it wont impact flowstone too much :(

https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeve ... -4727.html
adamszabo

Re: VST 2 Coming to an end

Postby tulamide » Thu May 17, 2018 6:41 pm

adamszabo wrote:Uh oh.. I hope it wont impact flowstone too much :(

https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeve ... -4727.html

Of course it will. Not immediatly, but over time. Steinberg declaring VST2 dead means, the industry will slowly work towards a VST3 only support on their DAWs. And that will have a huge impact. No VSTs made with Flowstone will work anymore then.

But it's too early to panic. Let MyCo finish the 64-bit edition first. Then the switch to VST3 is easier and might be developed. If not, well, then we are doomed to learn C++, I'm afraid.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Fri May 18, 2018 6:54 am

Am I right in thinking that it’s only Cubase that no longer loads VST2?

I think it’s a bad move commercially from Steinberg, due the abundance of VST 2 plugins, but that of course is their choice.

If, eventually, more and more DAWs drop VST2 support it should improve the prospects of products like this:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

Personally it won’t affect my enjoyment of Flowstone, but I’m sure it’ll be bad news for anyone wanting to sell plugins in the future, and that will have an impact on sales of FS.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Fri May 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Spogg wrote:Am I right in thinking that it’s only Cubase that no longer loads VST2?

I think it’s a bad move commercially from Steinberg, due the abundance of VST 2 plugins, but that of course is their choice.

Not quite correct. Steinberg is the developer and rights owner of VST. Cubase as they said, will still support VST2, just as the other DAWs around. But instead of only stopping development of VST2 a few years ago in favour of VST3, they now officially declared it dead. Which of course has implications. It is not open source, so no access to the code. It is abandoned by the developer, so the industry will focus on the product that is not abandoned.

In a few years, you won't be able to use Flowstone to generate working plugins, simply because the format isn't supported anymore. Unless Flowstone makes the change to VST3 also (which, while still complex, is a minor task compared to the 64-bit version).
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Fri May 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Oh!

Does this mean that they can actually stop DSPR from selling Flowstone in its present form? Because Steinberg has the rights or something. And/or does it mean that companies selling DAWs are no longer allowed to support VST2? Surely not...?
Spogg

Postby adamszabo » Fri May 18, 2018 4:32 pm

I think you are misunderstanding the issue. The way I see it is they will continue to support vst2 plugins in daws, but they dont want people to make new plugins with vst2 only vst3. they just want the technology to move forward.
adamszabo

Postby tulamide » Fri May 18, 2018 4:52 pm

Spogg wrote:Oh!

Does this mean that they can actually stop DSPR from selling Flowstone in its present form? Because Steinberg has the rights or something. And/or does it mean that companies selling DAWs are no longer allowed to support VST2? Surely not...?

No. After VST 1.0, all other versions' SDK was made publicly available. You only needed to register with Steinberg as a developer. No fees. So Flowstone can never be legally stopped from selling.

However, they might take further actions, if this (from their point of view) wake-up call still doesn't lead to more VST3 products. They could. As you can read here, all is based on a granted license.

EDIT: Adam beat me to it, but I'm going more into detail, so I post it anyway.
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sat May 19, 2018 8:00 am

Thanks guys.
I can sleep again :lol:
Spogg

Return to General