Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

WTF Oscillator

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: WTF Oscillator

Postby martinvicanek » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:36 am

Sorry, Tula, I shouldn't just throw this at you without further explanation. My schematic is inspired by your post but it is by no means a clone of the product which you linked to. I tried to incorporate some of the essentials and added basically the phases and the detuning which seemed sorta obvious.

I updated the above post with labeled knobs and synced scopes so you can see what is happening as you work your way. Hope it is clearer now, if not just shout. ;)
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:18 am

Yeah I had to add scopes to the original to work out what was going on!

I do wonder if the range of spectra produced is any different to that created by just switching between two waves at some point of the ramp. I like the novel metaphor of “opening a window” of course, but does it sound different and/or better in some ways than just switching?

What might be good is a “tapering” of the window edges, so there is a smoothed interpolated transition between the two waves, rather than a sudden harsh switching which produces all those high harmonics. Of course in an actual synth you could just apply a low pass filter to suit.

Just thinking out loud…

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Phil Thalasso » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:52 am

Thank you very much Martin.
I've been experimenting with it all morning.
Have a good sunday.

Regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Postby adamszabo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Very interesting ideas, I tried to further improve Wassakas design, and I think this is how they do it. I used martins polyBLEP saws to create a polyBLEP PWM, and use that to multiply the two input oscs, and it seems it reduces aliasing even more this way.
Attachments
Adam WTF Osc.fsm
(255.4 KiB) Downloaded 872 times
adamszabo

Postby tulamide » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Alter Falter!

(Sorry, didn't know how else to express my mixture of high regard and excitement)

You guys are awesome! I can't believe you all did this in a few hours each. Next step: Smooth stepping through various waveforms (modulatable), see second posted video :mrgreen:
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby adamszabo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Now that is called a Wavetable oscillator, much harder to do ;)
adamszabo

Postby BobF » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Hello adamszabo,

Very cool indeed! Now like Tulamide said if you can add the second one at the peak like they do in the 2nd video and morphing you could rule the word, ha, ha.

Thanks for your contribution, BobF.....
BobF

Postby Wassaka » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:46 am

This time I tried to make a wavetable oscillator using the multiple mix method, it works fine but it consumes a high CPU (relatively), but I hope someone does it better or just optimizes my version ...
Maybe this can help you to get a first idea :lol:
Check it out! @tulamide
Attachments
Wavetable oscillator (first attempt).fsm
(247.34 KiB) Downloaded 789 times
Wassaka

Postby tulamide » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Ah, thank you, Wassaka!

I see what you did and start to understand, why it is so difficult to make in Flowstone. You only deal with 6 waveforms, but because they all have to run simultaneously, the CPU load is already relatively high.

And if you don't use oscillators you would have to deal with one wavetable per waveform which also isn't reducing the payload. And an arithmetic oscillator would be way to complex.

But how the heck does it work outside of Flowstone? What technique are they using?
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby adamszabo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Normal wavetable oscillators load a long wavefile with many different waveforms inside. So lets say there is a sine, saw, square, triangle etc... Then you create two "readers", one that gets the even, the other gets the odd waves. Then you create oversampled oscillators to play the waves and interpolate between them.
adamszabo

PreviousNext

Return to General