Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Linear detuning ?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Linear detuning ?

Postby Halon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:17 am

Hi. Is it possible to do linear detuning in Flowstone?
If so, how would i do that?

Cheers,
Espen.
Halon

Re: Linear detuning ?

Postby Spogg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:42 am

Hi Espen

I’m not too sure what you mean by linear detuning. Do you mean adding or subtracting in Hz rather than Pitch (0-127) or normalised frequency (0-1)? Hz offset would give a bigger detune at lower frequencies, assuming the offset was constant.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Halon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi Spogg. I guess linear detuning isnt the right word. I saw someone use that word on another forum discussing detuning.

What i mean about 'linear detuning' is when you detune, lets say both oscillators, you get this beating effect. Now some synthesizers are able to do detuning without that beating effect. I believe the Minimoog and the taurus are capable of this?
Halon

Postby adamszabo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Every detune causes the beating effet because of phase cancellations. If you are talking about the flanging effect, then its because both oscillators are starting their phase from 0 on every keypress. You have to randomize their phase on each key trigger to get rid of it.
adamszabo

Postby Halon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Its hard to explain exactly what i mean. Do you happen to own Bazille by u-he? There is a 'beating' mode for the detuning part which will explain what i mean.
Halon

Postby adamszabo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:33 am

Nope I dont have it. Why dont you make some audio demos showing us the beating and non beating ones
adamszabo

Postby Halon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:47 am

Yes I could do that.
Halon

Postby martinvicanek » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:00 pm

Detuned oscs will beat, yes, but the beating might be more or less prominent depending on the waveforms. Try with two saws. Then invert one saw ( multiply by -1).
martinvicanek

Postby Halon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:42 pm

Thank you Martin. Will try that. :)
Halon

Postby HughBanton » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:36 am

Here's a demo of a module I knocked up just the other week to generate a randomly detuned version of an equal tempered (normal) scale.

So if you run a pair of oscillators, one using the normal scale and the other the detuned you should get pretty much what you're after.

Note that the numbers all belong to my project, so you'll likely have to modify them somewhat ;)

But the general priciple might help. The ruby section generates a random range, with a minimum and maximum, which is applied to the input numbers. It's scaled (by this : * @input[j] ), so that you get roughly equal beats throughout the keyboard. Whereas simple de-tuning makes high notes beat faster than low notes.

Hugh
Attachments
Detuner.fsm
(3.51 KiB) Downloaded 871 times
HughBanton

Next

Return to General