Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

a RUBY error ... but still works

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: a RUBY error ... but still works

Postby RJHollins » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:23 am

... and He's back ...

Just now reverted back up to version 3.07

Loaded my project [having been saved with 3.06] into 3.07.

Guess what ........ NO ERROR message :shock:

I mean, this should be a happy moment ... my project Works without giving me an error. TROG's [Raw] module works just as he posted for me ...

So I'm now back to the original reason I went with 3.07.

Full disclosure ... I had been using 3.04 for what seemed forever. I slowly was finding issue with posted examples that used RUBY with a new Command available [was it something like 'scheduale' or something ... can't recall] It was because 3.04 did not have that command available.

So it was up to me to upgrade ... but 3.06 gave me RUBY errors. Now back to 3.07, and all is working.

Alright ... that last brain cell is fried ... will look at this tomorrow.
RJHollins

Postby trogluddite » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:14 pm

RJHollins wrote:...but 3.06 gave me RUBY errors. Now back to 3.07, and all is working.

The release notes for v3.0.7 do have this to say...
DSPr wrote:Fixed a bug that was causing Ruby errors to appear on loading when the Ruby code has no 'event' method

So, I'm guessing that this is the problem you've been experiencing. It would be nice if there was a little more detail about what circumstances exactly cause it - I haven't noticed it at all since reverting to v3.0.6 (yet! :? ) Possibly that's just because of how I work with Ruby - I was a Ruby coder long before it was introduced into FS, so I tend to work with methods by habit.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby RJHollins » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:13 pm

trogluddite wrote:
RJHollins wrote:...but 3.06 gave me RUBY errors. Now back to 3.07, and all is working.

The release notes for v3.0.7 do have this to say...
DSPr wrote:Fixed a bug that was causing Ruby errors to appear on loading when the Ruby code has no 'event' method

So, I'm guessing that this is the problem you've been experiencing. It would be nice if there was a little more detail about what circumstances exactly cause it - I haven't noticed it at all since reverting to v3.0.6 (yet! :? ) Possibly that's just because of how I work with Ruby - I was a Ruby coder long before it was introduced into FS, so I tend to work with methods by habit.

Hi TROG.

I certainly appreciate you following and posting to my thread.

The 'no event' mention seems relevant to my particular piece of code ... as in the 'raw code' you posted me.

Also, not sure if relevant ... but my work schematic has a hodgepodge of 'experiments' , fragments, and ideas scattered about the schematic ... from there I build my 'self contained' Module that houses my particular intended project. Even I can say ... it ain't pretty ... but I use this 'scratchpad' method to work out issues, and test solutions. Then I can look to bring those into my actual project. Needless to say ... when the Ruby error message hit, my schematic had lots of red-dotted highlights :shock:

This begs the question [for me] ... would any errors in the 'scratch-zone' have any impact on my self-contain Project Module ? It's not been an issue in the past, but then, my earlier projects used little to no RUBY. Today, I'm looking to use RUBY when it is the 'better' solution [rather than using Green] when it makes good sense.
RJHollins

Postby trogluddite » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Yes, I've think you've hit on the biggest weakness of the earlier versions - when the Ruby shut-down hits a particular RubyEdit, it very easily spreads like the plague to other, totally unrelated, RubyEdits.

One of the biggest problems is that, if you save the schematic when there are "failed" RubyEdits, they forget all of their input values and other saved state - so when you re-load, they often immediately fail again because all of their inputs and loaded state have invalid values. The only solution is to go around all the failed RubyEdits and refresh all of their input values by sending them a trigger (either by moving a control, or at worst, by clicking each RubyEdit input connector in turn) - rather a chore, to say the least. V3.0.8 changed how this works for the better by isolating the RubyEdits from each other, but sadly, introduced rather too many new bugs of its own!

Hence a feature request which I've made many times - "Save a copy as...", so that you could back-up under a different name (without changing which is the current file) more easily before anything goes wrong!

Anyhow, it seems that I've jinxed myself by talking about all of this. :o You are not alone - I've had a bit of frustration with Ruby in my current project. Coincidentally enough, it has to do with the 'scheduleMethod' method which you mentioned earlier...

I was trying to eliminate 'scheduleMethod' for better back-compatibility by using the technique where you schedule an input event for a later time within the same RubyEdit, e.g...
Code: Select all
input("input_name", @value, time + @delay)

For some reason, when certain objects are sent as the 'value' (Midi in this case), they go walkabout while the event is waiting to happen. Ruby's garbage collector seems to think they're unused and occasionally throws them away, leading to a very obscure error message (sometimes even a crash) when the input event is eventually executed. So it's back to 'scheduleMethod', as this seems to always work reliably.

P.S.) My schematics are always filled with 'scratchpads' - it's a great way to work, IMHO, and I even include one in my 'new project' template schematics.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
trogluddite

Postby lalalandsynth » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Trog , are you a member of the alpha testing ?
I am sure your knowledge would be helpful there if you want to join ?
lalalandsynth

Postby RJHollins » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:56 pm

TROG ... You have described my issue exactly!

For right now, I'm going to stay on v3.07. Though it may have its own issue[?], at least I haven't had the RUBY error issue. It's either that, or go back to 3.04 ... but have the 'schedule' error.

Once again ... Thank-you TROG for taking the time to explain the situation going on with FS and RUBY. On my own, I've been more than successful in creating ERRORs ! [kind-of an over-achiever in that realm] :shock: Not that I want to share the blame with the software version ... but at least I have a better awareness.

For me, I'm just trying to put together some 'utility' apps/plugs for personal use [nothing commercial]. At least with 3.07, I can work on them.

As most here, sure hope that FS releases a next generation app.
RJHollins

Postby trogluddite » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:17 pm

lalalandsynth wrote:Trog , are you a member of the alpha testing ?
I am sure your knowledge would be helpful there if you want to join ?

It's lovely of you to say so, but I think my days of regular alpha/beta testing are done, to be honest. I don't really find the time enough to work on my current projects as it is; I'm also using other tools now for many of my projects, and just don't have the interest in DIY DSP that I used to have. I don't mind analysing and reporting any bugs that I happen across, but I just wan't to stick with something that I know will produce stable projects for the time being.
trogluddite

Previous

Return to General