Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Can i create an EXE that sends and gets Midi beside DAWs?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Can i create an EXE that sends and gets Midi beside DAWs?

Postby Matth23u » Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 am

Hi, i was just curious that now that i can export EXEs, can i bridge midi with FL studio? Or can i make a VST with Flowstone that will get the midi from the Exe?

Edit: I tried exporting the plugin i mentioned in a previous post as a VST but it totally does nothing and i can't see the right midi inputs and outputs... DLL has been uploaded here, but the schematic is in that previous topic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15955

And of course, i use FL studio.
Attachments
midi_tap.zip
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 772 times
Matth23u

Re: Can i create an EXE that sends and gets Midi beside DAWs

Postby trogluddite » Fri May 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Yes, this can be done, though it can be a little fiddly sometimes.

What you'll need is a virtual MIDI driver. These create a bunch of extra MIDI ports which you can select inside an application like any other - the difference being that they're software-only, and with inputs linked to outputs internally as if you had MIDI cables connecting them together. The one I use is loopMIDI <free download>, which has worked faultlessly for me on every Windows version I've ever used it on (Win 10 at the moment.)

Once installed, you configure it to have as many virtual MIDI ports as you think you might need and can name them as you like. Then, for example, you could select, say, "loopMIDI OUT 1" from your exe, select "loopMidi IN 1" as a DAW input, and they're then routed together. All of the ports are multi-client too, so you can merge and split MIDI streams to your heart's content, and it even includes a feature to "blow a fuse" if you accidentally create a feedback loop (this has saved me from a lock-up on many an occasion!)
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby kortezzzz » Sat May 04, 2019 12:15 am

Welcome! :)

My "Callisto" arranger organ project is a pure midi VSTi. It has no audio outputs to the DAW. Only midi. So it is possible. but It's actually depended on what you are trying to achieve. For instance, I streamed midi sequences from "Callisto" to other VSTIs that opened in the DAW and made them my virtual arranger organ's instrument banks. What are you looking for?
kortezzzz

Postby Matth23u » Tue May 07, 2019 6:12 am

Yeah buddy! I just seen your thread! I'll see if i couldn't maybe find ways to add it my own personal touch, or inspire from it and modify my schematic and make it more practical, i'd like to add bpm detection to it and i'm pretty sure there must be a raw and easy way to get some bpm... Like... Filtering and counting time between hits, matching patterns and finding main marker and making a beat ignore grid... Simply, filtering as best as possible then making long term patterns and guess a stable bpm which can be maybe "helped" around by setting a range manually.
I guess it could be possible without complicated maths or frequency separation.
This way, i could easily get the midi latch of either of both plugins be tempo fitted, and maybe even setting DAW's tempo with controller output and some value matching maths.
I thought we could just collaborate and end up with very similar plugins, but with each their personal touch!
nightmaredream.com/up/MidiDroneDemo.zip
Matth23u

Postby Matth23u » Tue May 07, 2019 6:22 am

Is it normal that my replies doesn'T post directly?
Matth23u

Postby Matth23u » Tue May 07, 2019 6:46 am

Tho i wonder... I would have edited the replies i made but they have to be approved first so i don't know..

Anyway.

I tried loading your shcematic inside FL Studio but it says it has been made with a more recent version of Flowstone.
Maybe could Flowstone be developed as "multiversion"? Like "multiMC" that is a minecraft launcher that includes every versions of minecraft. Ok, minecraft might look like no big deal to the topic, but it's be wrong to think so, because the Multilauncher allows every versions to be used without interfering with more recent and older versions...
So, there could easily be cohabitation between "stable FL version" and "latest dsp robotics version".
So yeah... I'm kind of stuck in a sense with the whole thing... If i load your plugin inside FL, i can't use "FL input" and "output" as a VST if i export it as VST... But i can't use it as schematic because versions mismatches...
Hmm... Puzzling.
Matth23u

Postby Spogg » Tue May 07, 2019 7:33 am

Matth23u wrote:Is it normal that my replies doesn'T post directly?

Hi!

Because you are new here, your posts go to moderation first. The Board software (phpBB) is somewhat flaky so often this doesn’t happen and, when it does, sometimes it’ll take quite a few posts before you are freed. It should be 3 posts I think, but sometimes it’s a lot more.

I’m in the UK and generally I moderate well before 9.00 am and a few times during the day, up to about 1700. Trog is also doing some moderation too, but I’m afraid you’ll just need to be patient for a while. :lol:

Be assured that your posts are not going into a black hole, so avoid the temptation to keep posting the same content “just in case”. ;)

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Matth23u » Sat May 11, 2019 11:14 pm

About kortezzzz's schematic, that's weird because even inside Flowstone it says it has been made with a "more recent" version of flowstone... But i use the latest beta.. Maybe should i download an earlier version?

And yeah, my account's been validated! Yay!

Sooo.... My plan would actually be to put Flowstone plugin as an EXE then use LOOPMIDI...
I'd put IMITONE first, make it send to the EXE then send it to FL Studio, then process the midi signal with other plugins like Instachord or Cthulhu when i'll buy it!

I want to be sure to make every steps right because i'd really like to put a few cheap plugins on my website for just a few buck each :3
Matth23u

Postby Spogg » Sun May 12, 2019 7:35 am

Matth23u wrote:... But i use the latest beta...

As Mrs Thatcher was fond of saying "No No NO!" :lol:

The betas available for download should be avoided at all costs. The are as buggy as a buggy thing.

Our general recommendation is to go with 3.06.

Do it ASAP because anything you make with a beta won't work in 3.06 so you will be wasting your time, not to mention dealing with highly misleading bugs.

Good luck!

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Matth23u » Mon May 13, 2019 2:07 am

Haha, i'll follow y'all'advices then!
Luckily, i haven'T saved anything yet, just testing my old synths and see how great they work!

I have some weird happenning that when i click a knob, my cursor resets to the top left corner of the synth :o

So, as you said, ASAP, which means, right now! :P
Matth23u

Next

Return to General