Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Imagine

For general discussion related FlowStone

Imagine

Postby tulamide » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:22 pm

If only hardware synths wouldn't be so expensive. Even if you're fine with limitations, some synths would cost more than a gaming PC (= very powerful PC that could host dozens of such synths in software).

I made a quick 2019 research for synths (selected with limitations) and their costs:

Modor NF-1
synth engine: digital, polyphony: 8 voices, no keyboard, price: € 1100

Elektron Digitone
synth engine: FM digital, polyphony: 8 voices, no keyboard, price: € 779

Hmm, I think I want FM digital, I'm fine with 8-voice stereo polyphony, I'm fine with no keyboard. But I want it cheaper, at the same sound quality and more versatile:

16 oscillators
8-voice stereo polyphony
16-voice mono polyphony
1-voice 16 stacked oscillators
2 envelopes, LFO, MPE-compatible (for example for microtuning), two fm algorithms, everything controllable through MIDI CC

Is it too much to ask for when looking for a hardware synth? Well, I go even further: I want this synth to be so small that I can carry it in my pocket all the time. I don't want it to have batteries or a PSU. Instead I want to plug it to any midi controller there is, and it works straight away. Most controllers don't have a USB port, so that rules out USB. Ideas?

Now it is too much to ask for, right? Well, I go even further: I want this all to cost less than € 200, a quarter of the cheapest synth I found above.

It turned out, that it is indeed possible! :o :shock: :ugeek:
Say hello to Flash, the Micro Synth. All the features I mentioned! Final price: € 160, currently on introductory for € 130 !!! And how large is it? Can I carry it in the pocket of my trousers?
Well:

flash_dbl900.jpg
flash_dbl900.jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 10658 times

This is the most amazing new hardware I've seen in a long time! Power sucked directly from the MIDI port, just plug it in and you're ready to rock. More info: https://hpi.zentral.zone/flash
MAke sure to watch the video, mitxela is the developer of the synth.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Re: Imagine

Postby adamszabo » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Pretty amazing!
adamszabo

Postby BobF » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks tula,

Super tech, and very cool!

Later then, BobF.....
BobF

Postby trogluddite » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:12 pm

Wow, that's incredible! Thanks for linking, tula. I really enjoyed that the video was just real-world demo's and personal enthusiasm from the developer rather than a load of flash-bang marketing, too - even a little bit techy talk about "hopped" envelopes; what more could you ask for!

All we need now is for FS to compile to ARM code! (no, I wouldn't really ask Maik for that!) :lol:
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby kortezzzz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Pretty amazing project. Thanks for sharing, tula. So glad to see how a local inspiration of one talented and creative developer can produce such a game changer gizmo. Following trog's wishful thoughts, It looks like arm processors are the future of everything around and porting FS to that would increase it's glory and production power to new heights. Not only with music related stuff, but as an all-around developing platform. Only wish we could raise the funds to take FS to that direction. I have plenty of ideas for new gadgets 8-)
kortezzzz

Postby Spogg » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:09 am

It’s really impressive tula! :shock:

The other comments got me thinking.

Maybe it would be possible to create a thing that would be a single instrument VST host in a similar plug. Maybe running a version of Linux.
Then you flash it with a VSTi plugin and, as if by magic, you have your favourite synth in your pocket.

This sketch has got too silly.
:lol:
Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby adamszabo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:49 pm

I also like this, an analoge synth on an USB stick: http://truenosynth.com/about/
adamszabo

Return to General