Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Procedural Generation

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Procedural Generation

Postby tulamide » Fri May 01, 2020 7:24 pm

I wanted to share my knowledge about it, but the thread derailed quickly, unfortunately. Well, professionals did not make fun of such a fascinating topic. Instead they implemented it in their software.

So here's procedural generation in a percussion synth. You will notice that there is never just random stuff. Everything is musically appealing (for good reasons, it's the difference between procedural generation and randomization). Also note the amount of detail, the proc gen is producing.

https://youtu.be/GzkuaanzbyQ
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby pshannon » Sat May 02, 2020 12:59 am

Thanks Tula for sharing this, I didn't know it existed and it is a good idea. It looks great in the video demo, I just hope it is this good in practice. They are having a 50% off sale right now and I was strongly considering buying the complete package.
pshannon

Postby tektoog » Sat May 02, 2020 3:51 am

Done something like this, a couple of years ago... ;) It was a complex project started in 2008... finished 10 years later... :? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye481D8KsIc

and it's update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfWO7sM ... e=youtu.be

Quite light on CPU, it really is only 8 sample players running at the same time...
Tricky part was to get one shot samples and loops running together... A time-stretch engine was needed there.
Also, when to feed in the randomized player was a heavy task, because of the delay induced by the file opening, depending on what kind of system the soft is running on (fast SSD or slow laptop HD)...
But , in the end I got a soft that allows one to produce a different Live act every night... using the same samples :D
or to make different variation of the same loop, you know when you got 3 different basses, but not really, and you don't know which one to take, which one sounds better... :?

At the end,It really just depends of the quality of the samples you put in...
A lot of folders with a lot of samples variations, and then a query/filtering section to pick up the right samples in the right folders.
What's the size of the sample library that comes with? I've seen products with 400GB libraries or more... :lol:
Then, how's the workflow in a DAW? I've come to avoid flipping panels... I think their really not handy when it comes to get a good, fast and efficient workflow when sound designing in a project...

Nevertheless, this plugin seems quite efficient and well designed... with a good library! ;) :D
"Essential random order for chaotic repetitive sequences"
tektoog

Postby Spogg » Sat May 02, 2020 7:56 am

OMG that’s totally amazing! :o :shock:

I wouldn’t know where to even start to make such a thing. :?

Do you sell this?

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby pshannon » Sat May 02, 2020 4:37 pm

Tektoog,

Blown away! This is a smooth blending sound that appears to be very functional in a live setting! Did you create this in FS? You earned your name in my book. The talent keeps growing here and after showing this, you are one of them.

Thanks for sharing.
pshannon

Postby tulamide » Sat May 02, 2020 6:49 pm

Impressive work, Tektoog!

I'm just not sure if it really is procedural generation or just filtered randomness. That's not influencing my appreciation for your tool in the slightest, but I'm a typical stickler for detail :lol:
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby tektoog » Sun May 03, 2020 1:07 am

Hey,
Thanks guys ;) :D
It's all done with FS ;)
Well, it has really been built over the years... with keeping in mind the ideas, one, to do multiple arrangements of my songs, when I got different bass lines or drums, without to rewrite the loop in my DAW, and then to generate quick new loops to start new songs with new ideas, and that's where randomness is making wonders... mixes samples in ways I would have never thought of... which leaded to the idea of generating live acts based on randomness... To get good results, the hard work has to be done when preparing your folders... archiving samples is a tedious task and a PITA... hours of listening...
I come to set up my players like this: left column: P1 Bass drum, P2 percussion, P3 FX(rising), P4 FX soundscape/synthline melody
Right column: P5 Bassline, P6 Percussion, P7 FX (Hit), P8 Fx soundscape...
In this way, transitions are not that harsh, as if you change kick drum and bassline at the same time... this is a drastic change, musically speaking... It takes a bit of practice to get the feel of the soft's behavior for a live situation... but with 2 copies, each one on its on tablet and a small mixer in between, you can prepare the loops in advance before sending them to Audio... you still have to beatmatch them manually though... easy task for a groovy musician ;)
It might not be real procedural generation,properly speaking, but it's quite close to what I saw in the posted video demo... I've come to a point where I take almost all controls off my synths, to replace them with randoms... precised and "domesticated" ones, I've called that U.C.R.S* = Ultra Controlled Random System... there's an example on my site to download.
Where you can also get a version of P.A.S within the sampler Pack... affordable for a very...very low price... ;)
After the hard FS winter sessions and then... spring sessions, I have now a few things that I want to implement and update in it... Remember this? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39730
Thanks again for the cheering :D and keep it all up!
tektoog

Postby tektoog » Wed May 13, 2020 4:36 pm

Hey,
here is an example of a random mix made with P.A.S

https://soundcloud.com/tektoog-tekky-sy ... eatory-mix

Take care ;)
tektoog

Previous

Return to General