Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Newbie question about the clipboard

For general discussion related FlowStone

Newbie question about the clipboard

Postby deraudrl » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:50 pm

The ref manual contains the following paragraph on page 42:

"Having Cut or Copied a selection you can then go to any other part of your schematic or to any other
schematic you have open
and paste in a copy of the clipboard contents. Copies are pasted at the
current mouse location. You can hold ALT while pasting to have pasted elements stack up at the
location of the source elements." (emphasis added)

As near as I can tell, FS will only allow one schematic open per running instance of the program. But if I select/copy in instance A, then switch to instance B, ctrl-V does nothing and 'paste' is grayed out in the menus.

I've been able to select/copy in a schematic, load a different schematic in the same instance and paste there, but doing that to move chunks from one schematic to another (or, more to the point, merge chunks from multiple schematics into one) seems a bit fiddly...the phrase "kabuki dance" keeps jumping into my head.

Am I missing something?
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Re: Newbie question about the clipboard

Postby trogluddite » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Welcome to the forum.

It is possible to open multiple schematics within a single FS instance, but it isn't always obvious that this has happened because FS defaults to showing only one at a time in the workspace, and there are no tabs for choosing between them. However, you can switch between them using SHIFT+TAB, or use the 'Window' sub-menu to select, tile, or cascade them.

In fact, cutting and pasting is only possible between schematics running in the same FS instance. As you've found, it never works between different instances. I assume that this is because a custom clipboard is used instead of the Windows one, but all the same, it is an annoying limitation sometimes.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Re: Newbie question about the clipboard

Postby deraudrl » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:37 pm

trogluddite wrote:Welcome to the forum.

It is possible to open multiple schematics within a single FS instance, but it isn't always obvious that this has happened because FS defaults to showing only one at a time in the workspace, and there are no tabs for choosing between them. However, you can switch between them using SHIFT+TAB, or use the 'Window' sub-menu to select, tile, or cascade them.
Ah, thanks...yup, as you say, not obvious. :)
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Return to General