Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

PPQPos prim

For general discussion related FlowStone

PPQPos prim

Postby Spogg » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Hello!

Can anyone here kindly give me some information about the PPQPos prim please?
What it does, what it outputs, anything really.

There’s stuff on the forum which I’ve looked at but I would love a concise and accurate description if possible…

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Re: PPQPos prim

Postby tulamide » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:00 pm

PPQ means pulses per quarter. Aside from the typical grid of 16th, 32nd etc notes, midi transmits in a resolution, for example 96 ppq or 960 ppq.

PPQ pos will take that into account and give you a float value ranging from 0 to just under 4 for the first 4 quarter notes, etc.

However, there's an issue: While the VST documentation defines the float value as "quarter note", many DAWs (FL Studio is one of those) interpret it as "beats". So you always need at least the other prims like tempo, signature and bar start position, but most likely sample rate and sample position (but FL Studio messes with this value as well, so really stupid) as well, to make sense of it.

There once was a discussion about this topic, where I was involved. It is from a few years ago, so I couldn't find it that fast. But if you take time I'm sure you'll find it. It contains a lot more information on the implications and a workaround.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:38 pm

Thank you tulamide. :D

I did read that huge topic you mentioned, but I got rather confused I’m afraid.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2732&hilit=PPQPos#p14221

I asked because I just wanted info on the prim itself.

I expect you expected this, but it leads me to another question. Does the float value wrap around to zero at some point, or does the value keep incrementing for the whole song?

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:51 pm

Spogg wrote:I expect you expected this, but it leads me to another question. Does the float value wrap around to zero at some point, or does the value keep incrementing for the whole song?

I'm glad you found the correct link, as it contains a lot of valuable information, when you want to make use of PPQPos! The value keeps incrementing.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:07 pm

Thank you. I think that's all I needed to know. For now!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby trogluddite » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:10 pm

For completeness: the fact that the PPQPos doesn't wrap-around may cause problems if you work on long songs, due to it being only a single 32-bit float value. As the song plays back, the integer part ("1/4 note count") gradually consumes more and more bits of the float value's mantissa ("significant digits"), so that the fractional part ("place within the 1/4 note") gradually loses precision. In most cases, this won't be much of a problem, but it could be if you were trying to calculate "sample-accurate" values from the PPQPos, due to reduced accuracy further into the song.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby k brown » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:39 pm

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. . . . :!: :?: :cry:
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:43 pm

I think it is more sensible to just do the math yourself. You can do that by using the sample position prim and with tempo you have what you need to figure out an eighth of a bar.

The issue is that ppq is really for the most part FL studio only.

A nice idea though. I was thinking the other day the track length can be attained with a float hold max triggering to save to a queue when the sample point goes back to 0.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Return to General