Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Ruby (learning and language comparisons)

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Ruby (learning and language comparisons)

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:17 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby trogluddite » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:24 pm

Thanks, Michael. Have a good break.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby pshannon » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:01 pm

Ruby was so different to me then a lot of other structured OOP languages. The other day from Tula, I learned that + is an object and not an operator and that kind of blew my mind. I was used to declaring my types for so long and here we are almost typeless where everything is interchangeable without functions or conversions. I learned ruby a few years ago only because of FS and code reviews. I walkaway from FS for a couple of years and I am back again, having to relearn some things. Anyways, I have accepted ruby like any other language that will strengthen the software product. LUA and python is another language that helps strengthen other software packages to take it to the next level. Anyways, a feature I would really like is the ability to integrate more API calls. Win32 I have not tried with FS, but it looks like it is limited vs visual studio to build some more powerful apps like graphical or audio directx etc. If FS has more capability I am all ears. But the documentation appears to be limited in what you can do and export your application without issues. I would love to be able to work more with audio like windows media player or more powerful prim with mp3 audio capabilities. The current audio prim is very limited and you can't do much more with it. If I am totally wrong, let me know.
BTW We have some extremely talented and helpful people here. It keeps me coming back because of the fan base. Everyone stay healthy around the world.
pshannon

Postby trogluddite » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:34 am

Re: Ruby Win32API
It's worth noting that there's a further restriction which the manual doesn't quite make clear. The Ruby Win32API library doesn't work in VST plugins at all due to some changes in the way that linking was handled. It still works in EXE exports as documented; though as you say, the need for the external library file is a bit of a pain.

The alternative is to use the DLL component, though it only works with Dlls which use the specific FS API, so C++ coding in VS is always required (and the API isn't very pretty - a big lump of ugly macros!). On the plus side, it's massively more efficient than Ruby if you need to handle audio streams, and it allows you to statically link the dll within the schematic, so you don't need external files.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby pshannon » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:19 pm

trogluddite wrote:Re: Ruby Win32API
It's worth noting that there's a further restriction which the manual doesn't quite make clear. The Ruby Win32API library doesn't work in VST plugins at all due to some changes in the way that linking was handled. It still works in EXE exports as documented; though as you say, the need for the external library file is a bit of a pain.

The alternative is to use the DLL component, though it only works with Dlls which use the specific FS API, so C++ coding in VS is always required (and the API isn't very pretty - a big lump of ugly macros!). On the plus side, it's massively more efficient than Ruby if you need to handle audio streams, and it allows you to statically link the dll within the schematic, so you don't need external files.

Thanks for your tips and that is really good info to know about the VST plugins won't work.
pshannon

Postby ErvSoft » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:11 pm

tulamide wrote:
What you did achieve though, is that I won't do another try to help people trying to dive into Ruby. It's not worth the punishment I get for having dared to.

Tulamida, I am very grateful for everything I have learned from Ruby thanks to you.
in fact the example of the animals that you have published if I really understood it, and my very basic knowledge in programming makes it easier for me to understand everything it teaches.
I want to tell you not to be bitter about destructive people,
His teachings and educational content in programming are very important to me and I also know for more people who are reading to him.
ErvSoft

Postby ghanasur » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:18 am

OOP vs. Imperative? In a wider sense, there are certainly valid arguments on both sides - no single programming paradigm is going to be best fit for everything
ghanasur

Previous

Return to General