Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Video Overlay

For general discussion related FlowStone

Video Overlay

Postby fixstuff555 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:43 am

Hi folks,

I have an application, where I am bringing in NTSC video into a USB converter. This video is viewable inside Flowstone as a standard webcam without any issues (tick25 grab, #0 id, etc, ect). I am trying to take some data and overlay it onto the video. How would I go about doing this? I tried tinkering with text onto a view primitive, but I can't quite figure it out. Anyone done something similar to this? I'm trying to basically emulate a NTSC overlay module, but only use flowstone. Is this possible?

Thanks.
fixstuff555

Re: Video Overlay

Postby Embedded » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Yes I played with this for my Track data logging app.

This should get you going :)
Attachments
Video Overlay.fsm
(521.61 KiB) Downloaded 1138 times
Embedded

Postby fixstuff555 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 pm

All right. It's official. I'm dumb. I looked and looked through your overlay code, and for the life of me can't seem to find where you have text overlaid onto video. I can create a video clip, but I'm assuming the time and date are overlaid on the screen normally. This isn't working by the way. Really the only "overlay" object I can get is the speedometer and the lap time counters.

Here's what I'd like to do. I'd like to start simple, with just a webcam, and the time and date overlaid on top of that. I get lost in the modules at this point if there is much more than that. Do you have anything stripped down for example? Say some real early code that you built off of.

My biggest hurdle in navigating Flowstone modules is actually finding what I'm looking for in among all the nested modules. Is there any trick or tip you can give me to help find buried code? Like a search or something?

Thanks again.
fixstuff555

Postby AnthonyTower » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:49 am

fixstuff555 wrote:...

My biggest hurdle in navigating Flowstone modules is actually finding what I'm looking for in among all the nested modules. Is there any trick or tip you can give me to help find buried code? Like a search or something?

You're not the only one with this problem.

The two main issues plaguing FlowStone are lack of adequate documentation and no bird's-eye view of a schematic.
Now add to that a myriad of Wireless links and a mildly complex schematic becomes labyrinthic.

I've been pondering the idea about calling the top level Main and everything connected to Main, branches with names that can be indexed.

Perhaps a graphical three dimensional view of a FlowStone schematic would be helpful.

Comments, and thorough ones at that, should be mandatory with all Wireless link connections.

Just me two cents
Cheers
AnthonyTower

Postby Embedded » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Sorry no secret, the Time & Date just was disconnected from the V output AND was made invisible with the 'Eye' symbol on the module.

Try this:
Attachments
Video Overlay Time & Date.fsm
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 1156 times
Embedded

Postby fixstuff555 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:30 pm

That was perfect thank you. That striped down code makes it much clearer how you did that also. My intent is to use an inexpensive webcam and bring in locally read position feedback so that I can save that with the video file.
fixstuff555

Return to General