Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Is trog ok?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Is trog ok?

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:23 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby pshannon » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:39 pm

MichaelBenjamin wrote:is autism really something to get diagnosed with?
from my understanding it is just a state of mind, something that sways out from the usual maybe, but not in any kind worth of therapy.
like a ginger, there is low color particles in the skin and hair, so it looks red. ok.
is it a sickness? no. a ginger needs to be careful in the african sun maybe but that is all.
the same way it is with autism, it is a color of mind.
color of skin, color of mind, different people.

This is my understanding/opinion with dealing with my child that has a mild case compared to some I have seen. In studies it affects Girls and Boys differently, boys seem to get it worse in some areas from what I have read and the doctors have told me. I guess I am lucky to have a girl in this case.

So your statement is too general of a comparison to a person that should stay out of the sun to solve their problem. No offense taken, I suggest you read a summary on the definition of what Autism is. We knew from birth she was different than my other 2 girls. She couldn't follow our finger, speaking came later and she would grab my finger and walk me to what she wanted by touching my finger to it up the age of 3. Things like loud booms of a cymbals would disturb most toddlers, autism might not have any reaction to that. Issues: Sleepless nights, not knowing they are hungry, thirsty or bathroom until it is bad like starving or they have to go really bad running to the bathroom.
The one part I agree with the general statement: The classification of Autism is to general now. Someone with aspergers appears differently to me than someone with common Autism, but it is classified in the same spectrum.

It is not a state of mind that you can be cured from. People with Autism does not have a sickness at all. Their brains are truly wired differently from a sensory, processing and expression/response standpoint.
The brain needs the senses to perceive the world/environment, theirs are totally different at so many levels of different spectrum's in that area. One shoe does not fit all and it is not the same as you or I which is more of the bell curve of perception. I hear so many stories from people that I have been to group sessions with other parents. It is a moving target that changes with time, one day you thought you solved one issue and a new one crops up that you have to deal with. A year later the old one that you resolved, now crops up again. That is when you have one of those oh crap moments. The goal is to help them function in real world. I am 95% sure mine will, but there are so many challenges ahead for all of us. Friends will always be a challenge. The "normal" spectrum kids know there is something different about your kid. People can make fun of you because they don't understand that you are at a disadvantage. At school, the teacher wants the kids to resolve their conflicts with each other. Well, someone with Autism is at a disadvantage. They might try, but you are asking for a melt down, because their emotions can kick in and now the small conflict has become a big conflict. Not my kid, but some people might lash out physically with impulse control issues which I think false in this area too. A kid down the street has this and in the 5th grade he had no help from the doctor, but he bit my daughter that was in the 6th grade at the time. I was like a 5th grader that bites???
More examples, because you asked:
If you ask them a question their brain has to process it many times before they can respond compared to a person without it. That part is taught to filter their response and try to put their words together in their head before saying anything. That why I laugh so hard with Trog and his "diarrhea" of the mouth comments. But Trog shows his brilliants in this forum. If you show some people with Autism patterns, math, images or sounds they still process it differently, but it appears they get it faster. It is for some reason they seemed to be wired for that(Opinion). My kid has gone through lots of speech therapy and other counseling to help her grow into what we know is the common spectrum for responses and behaviors are. It takes a ton of work and some people are surprised she is Autistic. So the hard word at birth gave her a fighting chance, but she is mild and had a better chance than some others I have seen which is nearly 100% non-functional.

There is so much more to cover that I did not put in here and life will be challenging for them. They will most likely deal with major stress, depression and Anxiety.

I strongly suggest you read more on this.

Patrick

BTW I did not proof read all this, I didn't have time.

Here is a video of her solving stack-able cup sizes in under a minute. To me this was early at the age of 15 months back in 2013. They see things differently and I stand by that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LckpM_JKdE
pshannon

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:17 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby k brown » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:31 pm

I think it might be more useful to not think of Autism as a disease (and I don't think it ever really was), but as an affiliction, because of how it can often make it more difficult to interface with others. Not something needing 'a cure', as it usually is accompanied by some form of enhanced perception/processing as well.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby tulamide » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:57 pm

MichaelBenjamin wrote:congratulations to your daughter, that was a fun let's play to watch. nicely done.
and yes i generalised way much.
but i don't see the connotation to autism?
can the doctors diagnose autism at baby age?
see, i don't care so much about "autist or not" as this seems to be just another barrier of words between different kinds of people.
what if, for example the world would turn backwards up and suddenly deem any capitalist behaviour worthy of a diagnose?

I think it is just a misconception. For example, to not be racist you don't need to ignore that there are different skin colors. You just have to understand, what a person with a specific skin color might experience compared to you. You can then help making life equally enjoyable for all.

Regarding autism, you have to understand that an autist does not necessarily sense their surroundings as you do. Since our society is tailored for us, we have to make sure, they will get along with it. As PShannon pointed out, his daughter has difficulties with certain things that are totally normal for you. So just cheering her for her talents would be similar to being racist, ignoring the downsides.

The technical question, wether there's a disease can only be answered like this: Mankind at some point decided to see everything that's not the norm as a disease. There is an international classification of diseases, called ICD-10.

For example, my disease is coded as "ICD-10-WHO (F41.1)", where 41.1 is the actual code. PShannon's daughter is coded as "ICD-10-WHO (F84.0)" and so on. I don't think you do a young baby a favor when ignoring her autism. Instead you should help her to adapt to the strange thing for her, that we call normal society.

(I'm not sure if I have to emphasize it, but I DON'T think you're a racist. I just used that example, because it is a strong picture, we can relate to)
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:34 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby pshannon » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 pm

MichaelBenjamin wrote:
tulamide wrote:Regarding autism, you have to understand that an autist does not necessarily sense their surroundings as you do.

In my experience, nobody does seem to sense their surroundings the same, every people sense their surroundings in a different way, autism might be a description for a set of more or less extreme sensing types then ok, racism of the mind.

and i don't think bad of the word racism in a purely logical way. it is just that the term "racism" is so laden up with all kind of connotations and stupid conclusions. at the same time i observe how people talk about dogs races like it is the most natural thing ever. they compare different abilities and uses of these dogs races. and they love them all in their unique ways. nobody ever was called a dog-racist.

that tells me that racism as a purely logical observation is nothing bad, but only the conclusions of one race being worth of more love (or hate) than the other fucks shit up. for me it is obvious, that there are different kinds of people on the planet just by their looks, and they can loosely be grouped into african, arabs, caucasians, asians, and more smaller subgroups of indigene origin. and all these groups can mix themselves. it is the same thing pretty much with dogs. that observation alone, is it racist? i would say yes, but i would also make the point that historically, the only bad thing of racism was that these groups were valued differently. that was obviously a wrong conclusion and many suffering had to be done in history because of this.

i also think that this free of connotation term "racist" is also based on culture. for example i think that african people traditionally have a much higher degree of musical evolution in rythm than anyone else. i watched videos on youtube from african drum sessions and they were simply unsurpassed in timing, timbre, flow and groove. are these racist thoughts? at the same time i admire the european classical corpus for its beautiful harmonic structurery. does anybody care if this is still racist or not?

so would you agree that autism (and other now wrongly so called mental "disorders") could be regarded as a kind of mind race?

I can't believe we are going down this path considering how things are right now. However, You think one race is better at rhythm and drums?
My opinion:
Drums: Rush - neil peart
Guitar: To many to list: Steve Vai and Eddie Van halen
Keyboard: Duran Duran nick rhodes & Journey: Jonathan Cain
Vocal: Steve Perry, carrie underwood, Queen: Freddie Mercury

Just wait, people will disagree with my thoughts on top performers. Why? Because it is too subjective and there is just way too many talented people out there which didn't only come from africa as you stated a general statement. I am seeing a pattern here with your posts.

Austim you don't get at all: They hear you, see you and feel their surroundings with hyper sensitivity. This is a general statement, you talk to them and they want to to respond, but struggle to do so. You are so far off on this, I would actually ask more questions instead of making statements.
Rain Drops can actually drive them into a meltdown state, not my kid, but I have been told by other parents. You have a point of people seeing the world differently. However, most of the world will still fall into the bell curve. The people with this disorder do not fall in the mean. They deviate very far away from the mean. So we will agree to disagree.
If someone falls and hits their head on the concrete and it takes 10 years to recover their brain injury, is that considered a mind race that the brain has to rewire itself in major areas to function? They become a different person and can't respond to you like they did before? The person I described has actual brain damage and they hope for a recovery and a person with Autism does not and they need to be taught on how to interact with their world. I strongly encourage you to watch youtube on this subject.

BTW Thanks for your kind comments earlier about my kid.
pshannon

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:33 am

MichaelBenjamin

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:11 am

MichaelBenjamin

Previous

Return to General