Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

How Are Primatives Created?

For general discussion related FlowStone

How Are Primatives Created?

Postby JWP » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:48 pm

Excuse me for flooding the board a bit, just getting a few things cleared.

How are primitives made?

If someone can point me in the right direction or provide a bit of info, it will be appreciated.
JWP

Re: How Are Primatives Created?

Postby Spogg » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:28 am

Primitives are hard coded in the FlowStone program code. There is no sdk available for developers, but you can make modules yourself using whatever resources you want, including primitives, Ruby, DSP and Assembler. You can even embed dlls created in other languages.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby JWP » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:20 pm

Thanks for the follow up.

Spogg wrote:Primitives are hard coded in the FlowStone program code.

I guess that's why Flowstone has great backwards compatibility.

Dlls and assembler are interesting concepts. AFAIK, assembler used to be the fastest response but now a days it's negligible.

I've been reading and exploring a bit, and correct me if I'm wrong that the DSP "Code" module can dump assembler code. Not sure if it will really benefit usage in builds to program in the DSP "Code" then migrate to assembler.

I'm new to programming but have been poking at it since I was a kid.

On another note:
I fought with triggering the "Wave Player" for an hour or two before giving up and just using a different example schematic from the forum, I didn't even use the final algorithm. "Learning Curve". :lol:
JWP

Postby Spogg » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:38 pm

DSP code is compiled into assembler before it’s run. But no compiler is perfect at optimising code, since it follows generalised processes.

Some people extract the assembler once they have the DSP version working (from the S output connector using a string text prim), then edit the assembler code to make it more CPU efficient, and finally paste the optimised code into an Assembler code box.
Optimising in assembler can make huge differences to the CPU cycles used, depending on the complexity of the code of course.

We have a few clever souls here who can even write directly in assembler too.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Return to General