Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

GUI sizes

For general discussion related FlowStone

GUI sizes

Postby tulamide » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:37 pm

Please be aware that the overall size of a GUI is an important factor nowadays. Due to WQHD and 4k, which more and more producers use, the size you see on your Full HD screen is not, what they see. On 4k screens, your GUI is just a quarter of the size, you see on Full HD.

Plugin reviews already take that into account, and will point that out. Here's an example:
Unfortunately, the plugin’s user interface is quite small by today’s standards. It is barely large enough for use on an HD screen, but there’s definitely no way to use it on a higher-resolution monitor. Hopefully, a future update will include a larger GUI or an option to freely resize the interface.
Source: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2020/06/10/soundmodeler-galactix-2-0/

Make it as big as possible (larger fonts, larger knobs or sliders, etc), that's mandatory if you want your plugin to be used in (semi-)professional or bedroom studios!
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Re: GUI sizes

Postby lalalandsynth » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Good point , resizing is essential these days.
lalalandsynth

Postby k brown » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:27 pm

But only possible with the Alpha, right?
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby lalalandsynth » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Think so , been a very long time since i used anything else then the Alpha.
lalalandsynth

Postby Spogg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:25 am

Good point tulamide!

On 2 occasions I’ve had requests for smaller GUIs because they were using laptops with lower than HD resolution. In those cases I made bespoke plugins and they were happy. In another situation a guy wanted a smaller GUI so he could work on the DAW with the plugin view open, and there wasn’t sufficient screen space.

So far I’ve not used the alpha for proper development (mainly so I can share my work here), only testing and exporting 64 bit and helping Johan, who uses it exclusively. This means I’ve not explored re-sizing, so I would have to make 2 or 3 different exports at different sizes. Would you say that users who have 4k monitors are most likely to be using 64 bit plugins only?

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:20 pm

Yes, most likely 64-bit. If you force 32-bit they will give it a try, but 64-bit is the system they use, and so they prefer 64-bit plugins. Some DAWs already excluded 32-bit support (for example Waveform ), and it is rare that one would buy an external bridge just for one or two plugins.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:33 pm

So if I made a regular 32 bit plugin and 64 bit in say 3 sizes, do you think that would be a good way to go?
Spogg

Postby pshannon » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:40 pm

I didn't want to start a new thread, but the discussion of the FS 64 and 32 bit is in here. Will I notice a big difference in performance between the two versions? I assume with floating point math 100% Yes. The main part I am really asking about is with the load on the ruby graphics that ran slower in 32bit will now run smoother in 64bit? I do not currently have access to the 64 bit, I do know it was posted on how to by the Facebook page. Thanks
pshannon

Postby DaveyBoy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:31 pm

I've been trying out the alpha for a week or so now. My current projects ( a midi monitor and a drum machine) are 99% Ruby and very graphics intensive.
To say that I am delighted with the improvement in performance (not just with the graphics but with the program in general) would be a massive understatement. :D
DaveyBoy

Postby k brown » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:06 pm

It's looking more and more like my FS days are coming to a close. There's just no way I can justify a new PC, just for FS (all my other computer work is on a Mac). Without being able to generate 64 plugs with resizable GUIs, so few people will be using my projects, there'd be no point in continuing. Sure never saw this coming, but that's life I guess.

:( ;)
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Next

Return to General