Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Win10 preventing VST export

For general discussion related FlowStone

Win10 preventing VST export

Postby tektoog » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm

Hey,
Since a few days I'm struggling to export/create/render a very simple plugin in VSTi.
AT first, I thought it was because of my bad programming skills ;) ...
I tried my exported VSTi in Acid (which is my main DAW), in FL (last version 20.something, updated last week), no cubase ( I own a old version, so I did not install it when I switched to WIN10), but no luck... each time the plugin is considered as failing...
So I also tried the exportation with FS 3.06, didn't work... FS 3.08... same deal... Still thinking it comes from a bug inside my schematic... So last resort...export with alpha... and then... I got that...
Failed Plugin scan.png
Failed Plugin scan.png (97.7 KiB) Viewed 16290 times

The plugin finally loaded after this 10 sec scan... (but was not working because of the rendering with alpha :( )
Weird thing is that I didn't get this message with export from 3.06 or 3.08...
But I'm pretty sure it was the same thing that prevented my VSTi to be recognized as valid...
So I don't know how to work around this...
Maybe it's the name I gave to the plugin (DTfPMF) that looks really like a virus name that generates this WIN10 behaviour.. I don't know...
It probably comes from a recent WIN10 update, as I've switch to WIN10 2 years ago, and was never confronted to this before...
I've looked to the page linked to the message, and seriously... put me to thinking.. this is becoming too much... :cry:
If working on your own machine becomes such a PITA because of all these security barriers, I think I'm gonna give up...after all these years...
here is the page link:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -antivirus
As anyone encountered the same issue?
One last word... Just stick to XP and push at max the time you'll switch to WIN10... really... This OS is a real nightmare... I miss so much my WIN2K machine ;)
"Essential random order for chaotic repetitive sequences"
tektoog

Re: Win10 preventing VST export

Postby tektoog » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:05 pm

After deeper investigation, and turning off real-time protection, export with 3.08 was possible... :)
But As I created the schematic in FS 3.06... My plug is buggy... :(
And 3.06 definitely doesn't go thru ... :?
This is driving me Loco... :x
tektoog

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Hmm, hope everything works out :)
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby k brown » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:36 pm

Wasn't 3.0.8 known to be buggy?
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby tektoog » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Well yes, that's what I thought... ;)
It's a real mystery to me...
I just tried to export the SM example synth with 3.06... doesn't work either... recognized as a failing plug :?
So it's definitely not coming from my programming...pfffew... :)
I, then, also tried to export this example synth with 3.08... it went ok...
So, my conclusion for now: it's not coming from my programming (yeah! :D ) and so either 3.06 is now buggy after this WIN10 update, or this WIN10 update itself is buggy...
well, we all now anyway that windows is just a big bug itself so... ;)
Just to add, I turned all Win10 security settings to off... but apparently it doesn't change anything for 3.06 :(
tektoog

Postby tulamide » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:09 pm

False positives (when the av assumes a virus where none exists) is very common for Flowstone, because it shares some similarities with actual virus code, being appended to an existing plugin shell. These false positives occur, because the av is at that point not comparing to a database, but does what is called "heuristic", it just scans for typical code signatures that viruses often have.

Normally in such cases you are given the chance to define the scanned ssoftware as good to go. It seems that Defender didn't give you that option. Most AVs don't have that issue anymore, because for years those false positives regarding Flowstone exports were reported to the companies, and they whitelisted Flowstone. Once again, it seems the new Defender doesn't have it on its whitelist.

I stopped the newest update, but it's mandatory, so it will install in 1 or 2 weeks. That's really annoying. It's definitely an issue of the Win 10 update. Also, don't turn off realtime protection. Use another AV that has Flowstone whitelisted (pretty much every product out there, except Microsoft Defender). I use Avira, but there are others (and better ones) as well, that work fine with Flowstone - and at the very minimum they will allow you to whitelist such exports manually.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby k brown » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:06 pm

I'm considering a Bootcamp Windows install on my Mac; wondering if I might be better off doing Win7 than 10.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby tektoog » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:31 pm

Hey,
thanks for your detailed answer Tulamide ;)
I used to use Avira, but at some point, like around 2012, they changed it (put a voice in it) and it started to bug me, so I went antivirus free... for the worst... got 3 major viruses (2 were ransomwares) which forced me to format and to reinstall windows... (Fortunately I use ghost images so it's not too much of a pain to reinstall, but as I don't do images on regular bases, I most of the time miss a lot...)
There are options in Defender to authorize some selected apps, and even files or folders. But even with these activated, 3.06 just doesn't pass...
I don't get why 3.08 goes thru but not 3.06...
They have the same name in the Flowstone folder! (although I installed both in different folders)
Is it a different process, or way of exporting, between both version?
It might I guess, because 3.08 and the alpha have no problem (when security settings are now off, of course!)
Meanwhile I feel very stuck (and pissed) because I've been using 3.06 for a year now, downgrading from 3.08...
I've had to rewrite a lot of stuffs to go from SM to 3.08, then again rewrite most of my schematics to go back to 3.06 because of the triggers behaviors... and now... It seems either I have to rewrite stuffs to work with the Alpha or 3.08... and now even more, I have to deal with windows security to be able to continue...
Debugging schematics is already nervously challenging, but if I must add debugging windows to this...
gimme a rope !
So I guess, my best option for now, is to just patiently wait until the next WIN10 update, hoping for a more gentle AV filtering, to be able to export with 3.06... unless Alpha becomes an official release before.. then I'll rewrite my stuff for a stable and long going FS version... :)
I'll keep investigating and hope for a solution...
Let me know how it goes for you when you'll have updated!
tektoog

Postby tektoog » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:51 pm

k brown wrote:wondering if I might be better off doing Win7 than 10.

hey,
I wouldn't be judge of that...
As you might know Win7 is not supported anymore... But with win2k, it was my favourite win OS...
It also has the same structure as WIN10 ( talking about User's folders AppData/Roaming...) so it is very well compatible with FS... without the hassle of security ;)
Also my soundcard drivers were never faulty in Win7, as I already explained in another thread, with WIN10 I have to boot my PC twice to get the correct sample rate matching the one of WIN10 which is 48Khz by default...
So be sure your soundcard runs at 48Khz before switching, or might get into trouble later on...
Personally I would go with Win7, but your "customers" or downloaders might feel the opposite...
You know... 64 bit, progress, state of the art... ;)
tektoog

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 pm

tektoog wrote:
k brown wrote:wondering if I might be better off doing Win7 than 10.

hey,
I wouldn't be judge of that...
As you might know Win7 is not supported anymore... But with win2k, it was my favourite win OS...
It also has the same structure as WIN10 ( talking about User's folders AppData/Roaming...) so it is very well compatible with FS... without the hassle of security ;)
Also my soundcard drivers were never faulty in Win7, as I already explained in another thread, with WIN10 I have to boot my PC twice to get the correct sample rate matching the one of WIN10 which is 48Khz by default...
So be sure your soundcard runs at 48Khz before switching, or might get into trouble later on...
Personally I would go with Win7, but your "customers" or downloaders might feel the opposite...
You know... 64 bit, progress, state of the art... ;)

I'm all for 7, but ten seems stable enough if you don't install third party software. It's a purely windows game, or windows certified products staging area.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Next

Return to General