Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Missing keys in cords

For general discussion related FlowStone

Missing keys in cords

Postby tektoog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:46 pm

Hey all, here is a bug I've spotted in the latest Alpha, but also in 3.06 and 3.08: When playing a 3 keys chord, it all goes well with octave 0, but only 2 keys work with higher octaves. I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but now it's done :wink: I made a video to demonstrate it :wink:
test 02.rar
Missing keys in chord
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 984 times

Is this bug confirmed or is it just me?
Cheers
"Essential random order for chaotic repetitive sequences"
tektoog

Re: Missing keys in cords

Postby deraudrl » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:03 pm

Can't look at your RAR file yet...I knew there was something I forgot to install when I set up this laptop last month. :?

Pending getting it opened, and so going only from your description, I'd only note that (1) 3.0.6 has been out 8 years or so, (2) that's a really obvious bug, and (3) it's a bad enough bug to make FS essentially useless. The idea that no one has encountered it before is so improbable that it makes me think, yeah, it's just you.

Then again, I could be wrong. :lol:
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby deraudrl » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 pm

Followup: I looked at the video on Slack, where it's just an AVI file. Problem is, there's no sound, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be seeing.

Can't you just post up an example 3.0.6 FSM here that demonstrates the bug?
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby tektoog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:20 pm

deraudrl wrote:it's a bad enough bug to make FS essentially useless

I know... but it does that to me even with the example synth of SM... No coding of mine in that!!!
And because I really focused on mono-line step-sequencing, and samplers (no polyphony) I've never really paid more attention than that to it...
But now that I'm working on a synth with no step sequencer in it... I'm like what the...
deraudrl wrote: there's no sound

It might be on your side... I do have sound here on the video
deraudrl wrote:Can't you just post up an example 3.0.6 FSM here that demonstrates the bug?

If you have SM, it does it to me with the example synth :? (even played with the latest Alpha!)
tektoog

Postby deraudrl » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:42 pm

Ok, just tried the "Example Synth.fsm" that came with 3.0.6: 3-note (and 4-note) chords work fine in every octave my MIDI keyboard will transpose to.

Dunno what to tell ya.
deraudrl

Postby tektoog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:55 pm

Ok thanks for testing ;)
Have you tried without transpose? just by going up octaves on the keyboard itself, physically?
Also does it work with the PC keyboard? that's what I use, in fact... like chord with x/v/n no problem...
but r/y/i doesn't... (oops i have an french keyboard ;) ) it's the same placement/location for these letters with qwerty, isn't it?
but you saw my vid, didn't you?(with sound I hope ;) ) It doesn't work for me... why? and it does the same with my Nano key controller...
tektoog

Postby deraudrl » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:07 am

tektoog wrote:Ok thanks for testing ;)
Have you tried without transpose? just by going up octaves on the keyboard itself, physically?
I have a 4-octave M-Audio keyboard...I just used the transpose to get the two octaves at the top and bottom.
tektoog wrote:Also does it work with the PC keyboard? that's what I use, in fact... like chord with x/v/n no problem...
but r/y/i doesn't... (oops i have an french keyboard ;) ) it's the same placement/location for these letters with qwerty, isn't it?
Didn't try that, don't normally use it. But I would not be surprised if simultaneous-hit chords don't work well on a PC keyboard: it's not really what they're designed to handle. In any case, I would expect variances between different keyboards/drivers/etc anyway.
tektoog wrote:but you saw my vid, didn't you?(with sound I hope ;) ) It doesn't work for me... why? and it does the same with my Nano key controller...
Looked at it on another machine using VLC. The good news is, I heard sound, the bad news is, the video was rotated 90 degrees (to vertical) and smashed almost flat. But what I heard appeared to match the keys being lit up in all cases, take of that what you will.
deraudrl

Postby tektoog » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:23 am

deraudrl wrote:I heard sound, the bad news is, the video was rotated 90 degrees

Haaaa good :) I think you have to tweak your VLC, I use it here also and it plays right
deraudrl wrote:what I heard appeared to match the keys being lit up in all cases

No it does not... only when keys are hit individually, or in chord with Octave 0 - x/v/n
the octave above plays well individual keys, but not the chord r/y/i... there should always be 1 or 3 keys playing and if you look closely at some points there are only 2...that's where the bug is...
deraudrl wrote:Didn't try that, don't normally use it

Could you try it, please? to confirm or not...
And I also tried the example synth of 3.06 version, the one with arpeggiator, if I press 3 keys on Octave 1 (keys r/y/i) I have no sound at all... :cry:
Thanks for your time ;)
tektoog

Postby nix » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:36 am

I can confirm the bug
-szx ...x doesn't sound here

when I create MIDI in FS there is no such issue, I am always using my code to create MIDI

I'll just try some simple analytics on the MDI coming out of the typing keyboard
nix

Postby deraudrl » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:49 am

tektoog wrote:Could you try it, please? to confirm or not...
And I also tried the example synth of 3.06 version, the one with arpeggiator, if I press 3 keys on Octave 1 (keys r/y/i) I have no sound at all... :cry:
Ok, on my Logitech K200 QWERTY-layout keyboard, I (sort of) see the "bug", intermittently and with different symptoms than yours. In my case the 'qwer' row usually works more consistently than the 'zxcv' row, but sometimes both work and then a few seconds later neither will.

Be that as it may, I'm not sure it counts as a "bug". Quite frankly, I'm a bit surprised playing chords on a PC keyboard works at all.
deraudrl

Next

Return to General