Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Single and multi trigger for envelopes?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Single and multi trigger for envelopes?

Postby Halon » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:11 pm

Hi. Hope you all are doing well. I'm wondering how i would achieve single and multiple trigger modes for an envelope ?

Single would be playing a series of notes without retriggering, and multi > retrigger on every key/note.

Is there a specific envelope i should use in this case?

Cheers, and stay safe.
Halon

Re: Single and multi trigger for envelopes?

Postby Spogg » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:40 am

Interesting question and idea!

Just to be clear, do you want an option to start the envelope with the first key pressed and end it when the last key is released? And this envelope controls the polyphonic voices all together?

Multi is what you get in a conventional poly setup.
I believe the Single mode would need a mono envelope with mono to poly conversion on the output. In this way you would have to switch the poly paths between a regular poly envelope and this mono one. It should be possible with any envelope but you would have to provide the gate and env stage control signals for the mono one.
Spogg

Postby trogluddite » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:33 pm

I agree with Spogg, it'll need a combination of blue and white streams. The gate signal for the envelope can be got easily by simply forcing the "number of notes" output of a "Midi Mono" primitive to boolean.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Halon » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:26 pm

Spogg wrote:Interesting question and idea!

Just to be clear, do you want an option to start the envelope with the first key pressed and end it when the last key is released? And this envelope controls the polyphonic voices all together?

Multi is what you get in a conventional poly setup.
I believe the Single mode would need a mono envelope with mono to poly conversion on the output. In this way you would have to switch the poly paths between a regular poly envelope and this mono one. It should be possible with any envelope but you would have to provide the gate and env stage control signals for the mono one.

Hi Spogg, and yes, i want the envelope to start with the first key pressed and then end on key release. I can give you some examples of synthesizers that works this way, mind you these were old synths from the 70-80s, such as the Korg Mono/Poly and the Korg Delta. Also, with long release times, the 'release' stage was retriggered when pressing a new key, so i would assume this was what is called Paraphony perhaps? I always liked that behaviour to be honest. Thank you for suggesting the mono envelope and mono to poly. I should start experimenting. :)

trogluddite wrote:I agree with Spogg, it'll need a combination of blue and white streams. The gate signal for the envelope can be got easily by simply forcing the "number of notes" output of a "Midi Mono" primitive to boolean.

Thank you trogluddite. How do you force the number of notes on 'Midi Mono' exactly? Does it work the way as 'Midi Poly' ?
Halon

Postby trogluddite » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:36 pm

Halon wrote:How do you force the number of notes on 'Midi Mono' exactly? Does it work the way as 'Midi Poly' ?

That's probably best thought of the other way around. The "Midi Mono" has no maximum count of notes - it always keeps track of every note that's held down (the single output note always has "most recently played" priority). The equivalent for the "midi to poly" module would be to enable the "Hold Stolen" property - that way, it will "remember" every held note, even if there aren't enough voices to sound them all. It wouldn't do much harm if you didn't "hold stolen", but the release phase might not happen when you expect if there had been any voice-stealing before you released all of the keys.

Halon wrote:i would assume this was what is called Paraphony perhaps

I would associate multi-triggering (or "retriggering") and single-triggering ("legato") with mono synths, and "paraphony" with poly-synths that have shared mono envelopes. However, within FS, there wouldn't really be any technical difference except for the "Midi to Poly" having a different "Voices" setting.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Halon » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:06 am

trogluddite wrote:
Halon wrote:How do you force the number of notes on 'Midi Mono' exactly? Does it work the way as 'Midi Poly' ?

That's probably best thought of the other way around. The "Midi Mono" has no maximum count of notes - it always keeps track of every note that's held down (the single output note always has "most recently played" priority). The equivalent for the "midi to poly" module would be to enable the "Hold Stolen" property - that way, it will "remember" every held note, even if there aren't enough voices to sound them all. It wouldn't do much harm if you didn't "hold stolen", but the release phase might not happen when you expect if there had been any voice-stealing before you released all of the keys.

Halon wrote:i would assume this was what is called Paraphony perhaps

I would associate multi-triggering (or "retriggering") and single-triggering ("legato") with mono synths, and "paraphony" with poly-synths that have shared mono envelopes. However, within FS, there wouldn't really be any technical difference except for the "Midi to Poly" having a different "Voices" setting.

Ok thanks again trogluddite. ;)
Halon

Return to General