Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

DSPR please give a statement

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: DSPR please give a statement

Postby RJHollins » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:11 am

The only programming environment that I've heard about is PUREDATA.
https://puredata.info/

There is also a support app called: Camomile - a VST wrapper for PD patches.
https://github.com/pierreguillot/Camomile

I've not tried it ... only read about.

I'm not a programmer. I've a full time job as Mastering/Mix Engineer. Using FlowStone has given me opportunity to experiment and make some nitch, support, VST plugins.

I would be interested in comments from 'real' programmers regarding something like PureData out of curiosity.

thx
RJHollins

Postby CoreStyler » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:07 am

I never used it. But pure-data looks like a great prototyping tool or assembly creator like MAX MSP.
I won't spend time on it if you want to make VST/AU. (Most wrappers are old, non-mantained etc etc)

Yesterday i've launched RackAFX and that is quite interesting. It loads up a VS project ready to use and run, really easily. It also seems to provide a good way to program VST/AU since you can develop on VS with the tool and then export to VS/Xcode projects in order to make VST/Au export.
Especially the cool is the UI creator, that can be used on the prototyping phase and then replaced with your own GUI toolkit when you go on production. (or used as is)
CoreStyler

Postby 110 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:05 pm

RJHollins wrote:The only programming environment that I've heard about is PUREDATA.
https://puredata.info/

there are about 20 others, and i am not even including realbasic or synthedit in the count.

the big sister of puredata, max/msp, was the very first enviroment which gave access to the creation of VST plug-ins without any knowledge of a high level language such as C++ or java, the first plug-ins made with this graphical dataflow programming enviroment (some might call max/msp a "language", see below) came out some 17 years ago and still work in many VST host programs dated 2010 or so.

max made audio plug-ins also supported MAS (digital performer) and RTAS (protools) beside VST.

VST plug-ins made with max supported vst 2. for effects and vst 2.1 for instruments - so you could do anything except adding MIDI to effect plug-ins. which most native, C++ coded plug-ins also did not offer in these days.

they brought experimentalists among the programmers as well among the normal users several revolutionary new features, such as hosting VST inside VST plug-ins, inter-plugin audio and control, parameter syncing and parameter morphing, and the option to easily implement things like OSC or internet connections into your audio plug-in.

except for inter-plug-in audio, which has been used for the orange vocoder before, max-made plug-ins were the debut for all these new options.

I would be interested in comments from 'real' programmers regarding something like PureData out of curiosity.

many kids on the internet will tell you that one is "real" programming and the other one is not.

"real" programmers, who use high level languages themselves, usually know it better and will grant us that max, pd, supercollider, the lisp family or visual studio - or flowstone - also allow you to program, "really".

these enviroments have the same long learning curve like C++, but you can have visual and aural feedback from the beginning on. in the days of max/msp, supercollder 2 and lisp languages there was absolutely no chance to run the audio software while you were programming it using C++ in codewarrior - you always had to compile and export the binary in order to test the new version.

this was in my opinion always the main difference between these two approaches to create audio software.

in my opinion it is a fundamental misunderstandment that programmers who use graphical languages wouldnt need to know about DSP, math, physics, or video... and that C++ users would regulary code everything from the scratch using only 0s and 1s.

almost noone writes his own FFT tool library or his own boolean operator in C++, and organizing processor optimization and memory handling (which is only possible in high level languages ) is only a small part of building a bigger app. the rest is the same effort and brainfuck in any language.

and where most C++ programmers only have to write "p" and their editor automatically suggest them to write "pi", most max and pd users will have to write "expr acos(-1.)" or ask google for the right value of "3,141592".

last but not least, you can "program" HTML or a preset for your dish washer as well, it would be silly to artificially create a border where programming stops beeing "professional".

i know so many people who are incapable of programming their dish washer because it is so difficult. and they are not even VST.

Postby jjs » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:12 pm

I'm checking out Juce, i see that camomile is written using Juce.

quite different as the nice views in FS or Livecode ( requested before to add VST into Livecode), the new Livecode 9 (in development allows other API's and languages to be imported or used) so maybe there is some future, don't know yet exactly.

I've downloaded RackAFX, let's see.
jjs

Postby remarkable » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:57 pm

jjs wrote:I'm checking out Juce, i see that camomile is written using Juce.

quite different as the nice views in FS or Livecode ( requested before to add VST into Livecode), the new Livecode 9 (in development allows other API's and languages to be imported or used) so maybe there is some future, don't know yet exactly.

I've downloaded RackAFX, let's see.

Many pro's use Juce, even Image Line!
Universal Audio, Cycling 74– Makers of Max MSP, Korg, M-Audio, Arturia, Image Line, TC Group, Sonalksis, D16 Group Audio Software, Ueberschall, Sound Radix, ROLI, UVI, Studio Devil, Cableguys, Overloud..... the list goes...
remarkable

Postby juansth » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:52 pm

We have waited for years to be able to make plugins AU, RTAS, support for MacOS, iOS, Android ... I do not think it is so difficult :roll:
juansth

Postby tulamide » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:59 pm

I just wanted to hear a statement about the near future from DSPR. Instead, it became a discussion about other things. That's ok, but the one reason I created this topic for is still a statement.

Isn't it embarrassing that even after more than a month, there is no word from the devs? It is unprofessionel, maybe even arrogant and for sure impolite.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby CoreStyler » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:11 am

tulamide wrote:I just wanted to hear a statement about the near future from DSPR. Instead, it became a discussion about other things. That's ok, but the one reason I created this topic for is still a statement.

Isn't it embarrassing that even after more than a month, there is no word from the devs? It is unprofessionel, maybe even arrogant and for sure impolite.

Don't expect too much. It has always been like this. ;)
CoreStyler

Postby Spogg » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:20 am

Before Christmas Malc told me he was going away for New Year then after that he would get onto it.
We shall see...
Spogg

Postby anjey_olaf » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:27 am

Spogg wrote:Before Christmas Malc told me he was going away for New Year then after that he would get onto it.
We shall see...

You want to say that Malс is leaving the team? Development stops? Please explain at least some information on the development? :)
anjey_olaf

PreviousNext

Return to General