Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

it is about time...

For general discussion related FlowStone

it is about time...

Postby 110 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:41 pm

...that i show up here.

with a strong background in max and some contact with supercollider and kyma i am looking at flowstone as an additional tool which, in an ideal case, should be almost identical to max.

list of currently still active prejudices / fears:

- no 32 bit support
- difficult or impossible to create and reuse custom modules
- difficult to translate my hundreds of custom math and logical objects from max/msp which i depend on
- using mathematical expressions in ruby totally suck anyway
- learning curve will not reach the top within the first 48 hours and i loose interest

so, tomorrow i am going to install flowstone and tell you about my experience. ;)

Re: it is about time...

Postby anjey_olaf » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:33 pm

Good luck Bro. ;)
anjey_olaf

Postby 110 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:51 pm

so, i had my first session right after posting this and it lasted 18 minutes.

compared where i coming from i found many interesting similarities, differences, advantages and disadvantages already.

flowstone sems to be a pretty fast and stable runtime, it opens in one second, navigation is easy, and the organisation, terminology, design and haptics is really nice.

extra points are granted for drag-create-multiple-copies and for /contextmenu/favorites/. yet i still feel i also want to just type an object name somewhere.

nice (yet not unique in modern software) is also how you navigate in the project window using the overview tab - including the change of levels ... someone should implement that in max or my favorite html editor asap ;)

encapsulation of subcircuits and saving to disk is also solved brilliant here.

what is a bit strange is... that when i close a document then sometimes the object menu is emptied and i dont get it back other than via restarting. :) probably a user error.

while there are many things i like, i already pinpointed one possible problem - i lack the one or other object which i would need.

that begins with some basic audio processes i am used to use, and continues with things like exponent and logarithm.
i especially miss a C-style expr.
am i supposed to do this in ruby? and if yes, how do i add more than the one default numberinputs/variables to the ruby object?

Postby BobF » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello 110,

Welcome aboard. I have a feeling your going to be a great asset around here.

Take care, BobF.....
BobF

Postby Nubeat7 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:06 pm

hi 110,
for missing modules like log and exp you should search the forum, there are highly optimised stream version around there, mostly done by martin vicanek or myco...

or you write them by yourself..

there is also useful stuff and manual for assembler optimisations on the flowstone guru site..
http://flowstone.guru/downloads/

cheers
Nubeat7

Postby 110 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:06 pm

i am totally unwilling to deal with C++ in order to create custom content for a graphic enviroment´s abstract and metaphoric layer.

say i want to make a little module which maps ranges.

in kyma and maxmsp there is one, and when i want to change its functionality because i dislike the factory binary, i write my own object which consists only of the expression (((x-a)/(b-a))*(d-c))+c , and a function which initializes a,b,c, and d.

when you call this object you create an empty object box and type "mycoolobject 0 127 -1. 1" into it in order to convert midi input to normalized bipolar fantatsy parameter - you get the idea.

when i have to do the same thing in koblos tokyo engine (yes, i am a bit oldschool and work with weird software), there is no expressions and i have to use + - * /.

now what about flowstone? how would you do it?

Postby Nubeat7 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:12 pm

inside the stockknobs you can find the min/max modules which scales the 0 -1 value to any range...

if you need something like that for arrays you can use my Array Class Methodes Expansion module for ruby array class which you can find here http://flowstone.guru/downloads/array-c ... expansion/
it offers some extra methodes like scale_values...
Nubeat7

Postby tulamide » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 pm

Nubeat7 wrote:or you write them by yourself..

110 wrote:i am totally unwilling to deal with C++ in order to create custom content for a graphic enviroment´s abstract and metaphoric layer.

That's not what he meant. You miss the point. Flowstone is not a "grab from a list and there you go" app. It is a serious tool that shows graphically the relationships in math. For example, take two integer prims and connect them with the addition prim. Voila, you just created the equivalent of "a + b". "Write them by yourself" refers to the stream code or Ruby. Nothing at all about C++

110 wrote:in kyma and maxmsp there is one, and when i want to change its functionality because i dislike the factory binary, i write my own object which consists only of the expression (((x-a)/(b-a))*(d-c))+c , and a function which initializes a,b,c, and d.
With my paragraph above I'm pretty sure you will figure it out like a snap now. Make use of the prims, connect them and thus create your expression visually. Or use dsp code and realize your expression. Or use Ruby and realize your expression.

Reading the user guide and making good use of the reference are obligatory, btw.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby 110 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:56 pm

aha good to hear that it exists... not sure if i would have expected mapping ranges behind min and max... sp thanks for the hint. :)

tulamide wrote:For example, take two integer prims and connect them with the addition prim.

i see. well, but there is a big difference between a C-style expr method and basic arithmetic objects while you are programming it.

i´d prefer to write complex formulas instead of using 12 different objects for one module creation. for the mapping job i was asking for it wont make much of a difference how i write it, because it would be a module used frequently without the need to modify it.

but in other situations you would want to have more flexibilty.

"Write them by yourself" refers to the stream code or Ruby. Nothing at all about C++

i have no clue about ruby and the first and only thing i wanted to know about it is if is has some kind of c-like expr.

because in the usual ruby tutorial websites i only found if and regexp - but not sprintf and expr. and i depend on expr :)

if someone could show me how to write (((x-a)/(b-a))*(d-c))+c in a ruby box with 5 inputs i ´d have 80% of what i need to know for now.

[quote]
Or use dsp code and realize your expression. Or use Ruby and realize your expression.
[quote]

aha, so you can only use ruby for numbers and strings, and not for signals... this explains a lot.

Postby 110 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Code: Select all
sorry for the mess but forum wont let me post it without the code tag. (?)

Next

Return to General