Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Oscillator keytrack?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Oscillator keytrack?

Postby shrunkyq » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure how to add keytrack to and oscillator. So far I've tried multiplying the Frequency from the Midi to Poly module together with a knob with a 0-1 value, but it pitches the whole coarse of the oscillator. I have attached a simple schematic of an oscillator setup to show what I mean!
Attachments
Schematic1.fsm
(19.86 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
shrunkyq

Re: Oscillator keytrack?

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:59 am

Unfortunately I can’t open your schematic. :(
What version of FS are you using?

It should be in version 3, ideally 3.06 which is recommended. If it’s the 3.09 beta 2 version from this DSPR site then it’s full of bugs and you won’t get any help on the forum. If you wish to post a schematic from a different version please say in the post which version it is because if someone tries to open it in 3.08.1 they get into a situation of getting permanent error boxes and have to close FS via Windows Task Manager, which is a pain.

Could you please explain what parameter you want to key-track? If you change the ratio of the freq 0-1 signal it will change the base tuning but the relative tuning will still be equal temperament. For example, if you divide the freq value by 2 (or multiply by 0.5 which is better) the whole pitch range will drop by 1 octave. So we need more info please…
Spogg

Postby shrunkyq » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:36 pm

Hi Spogg,

Sorry I didn't know that I had to upload with an older version of Flowstone. I don't have the release version installed at the moment but here is a picture of the schematic since it is very basic.
https://ibb.co/qBYhGK2 (tried to use the Img when making the post, but the image was too large)

Basically I want to have a keytrack knob for the frequency that goes into the oscillators pitch. (So when the keytrack is at 0, you will only get one pitch and if you multiply it by 2 the notes will be more spread. So not equal temperament)
That is what I am trying to figure out, but turns out to be more of a headache for me than I thought :lol:

Spogg wrote:Unfortunately I can’t open your schematic. :(
What version of FS are you using?

It should be in version 3, ideally 3.06 which is recommended. If it’s the 3.09 beta 2 version from this DSPR site then it’s full of bugs and you won’t get any help on the forum. If you wish to post a schematic from a different version please say in the post which version it is because if someone tries to open it in 3.08.1 they get into a situation of getting permanent error boxes and have to close FS via Windows Task Manager, which is a pain.

Could you please explain what parameter you want to key-track? If you change the ratio of the freq 0-1 signal it will change the base tuning but the relative tuning will still be equal temperament. For example, if you divide the freq value by 2 (or multiply by 0.5 which is better) the whole pitch range will drop by 1 octave. So we need more info please…
shrunkyq

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:11 pm

Ok no probs. My post sounded a bit stern reading it back, but nothing personal intended.

What you describe is not dead simple but it’s achievable. I would suggest you take a reference midi note number (=pitch not frequency) as your knob’s zero setting, say 60 for middle C.
Then take the pitch output from the Voices module and subtract the reference note number. So your new pitch range will be -60 to 67 (instead of 0 to 127). The knob is then set to cross-fade (mix) between the new pitch value and the set pitch reference. This should be so that when the knob is at 1 the keyboard is properly tuned and any setting in between will give a compressed range. For example when the knob is at 0.5 middle C will play correctly but playing an octave higher will give you middle G, not the C an octave higher.
Finally the mix should be passed through a pitch to frequency converter and then to the oscillator. If you want to go from compressed to expanded I would multiply the midi pitch side by whatever factor suits. What you will be doing is subtracting or adding pitch-related values from the keyboard to the set reference pitch.

When I see this kind of question I always like to second-guess the project’s intention, so I’m going to take a punt on it being for tuned percussion where the pitch of the drum or whatever is spread across a wide keyboard span. Am I warm? :lol:

I hope that’ll point you in the right direction.
Spogg

Postby adamszabo » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:23 pm

Here is how you can do osc keytrack. You can change the -60 to what you want the default pitch to be when the keytrack is 0. You can also change the knob range to go higher than 1.
Attachments
osc_keytrack.fsm
(12.73 KiB) Downloaded 726 times
adamszabo

Postby shrunkyq » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:11 am

Thanks! It's actually going to be a standard synthesizer with 4 Oscillators and a sample player with individual filters etc :D

Spogg wrote:Ok no probs. My post sounded a bit stern reading it back, but nothing personal intended.

What you describe is not dead simple but it’s achievable. I would suggest you take a reference midi note number (=pitch not frequency) as your knob’s zero setting, say 60 for middle C.
Then take the pitch output from the Voices module and subtract the reference note number. So your new pitch range will be -60 to 67 (instead of 0 to 127). The knob is then set to cross-fade (mix) between the new pitch value and the set pitch reference. This should be so that when the knob is at 1 the keyboard is properly tuned and any setting in between will give a compressed range. For example when the knob is at 0.5 middle C will play correctly but playing an octave higher will give you middle G, not the C an octave higher.
Finally the mix should be passed through a pitch to frequency converter and then to the oscillator. If you want to go from compressed to expanded I would multiply the midi pitch side by whatever factor suits. What you will be doing is subtracting or adding pitch-related values from the keyboard to the set reference pitch.

When I see this kind of question I always like to second-guess the project’s intention, so I’m going to take a punt on it being for tuned percussion where the pitch of the drum or whatever is spread across a wide keyboard span. Am I warm? :lol:

I hope that’ll point you in the right direction.
shrunkyq

Postby shrunkyq » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:12 am

Genious mate, thank you!

adamszabo wrote:Here is how you can do osc keytrack. You can change the -60 to what you want the default pitch to be when the keytrack is 0. You can also change the knob range to go higher than 1.
shrunkyq

Return to General