Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

How many dsp codes can I stuff in a project?

For general discussion related FlowStone

How many dsp codes can I stuff in a project?

Postby guyman » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:29 am

How many dsp codes can I stuff in a project or exported program?

If I have them all on selectors, will the cpu overhead be non existant?
guyman

Re: How many dsp codes can I stuff in a project?

Postby Spogg » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:22 am

Difficult to answer in a meaningful way (for me anyway!).

What I have done sometimes is to make multiple copies of something and see the effect on CPU when a note is played (or you can test in blue). I subtract the “resting” CPU (typically about 0.7 on my PC) then if I have 100 modules I divide the actual CPU by 100.
So if I got 11% CPU with a resting CPU of 1% that would mean each module is using about 0.1%.

If you synchronise all the modules you can change the code in just one and see the effect much better, since any small change is multiplied.

I don’t find the analyser system very useful because the readout is not so stable, so there’s guesswork involved.

Maybe someone else can give a better answer…
Spogg

Re: How many dsp codes can I stuff in a project?

Postby HughBanton » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:58 am

How many dsp codes? Thousands. Bear in mind that all stream components are already running dsp (or rather assembler) behind the scenes, and by re-writing and combining bunches of them into dsp, you are already automatically lightening the cpu load. The more you can aggregate the better, because connectors & links themselves have an overhead.

I'm sure I read somewhere here that when you use the stream selector prim, or the multiplexer prim within a stream, then whichever stream is NOT connected is actually not processed at all, everything bypassed.

In which case you'll be correct about the cpu load. I dare say you could use Spogg's multiple-copy method to verify this, neat idea.

H
HughBanton

Return to General