Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Slider for Parametric EQ - Approach

For general discussion related FlowStone

Slider for Parametric EQ - Approach

Postby snafu » Tue May 30, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the forum - this is my first post :)
I just recently bought Flowstone and feel yet amazed by the possibilities - I got a C# background, but I'm not a pro ;)

So, here's my question:

Flowstone has a Parametric EQ, to be found amongst the Audio-Components. I made myself familiar with very easy tasks, like switching on/off LEDs under specified conditions with the Ruby module. Now I am trying to fumble my way through the schematics of the Parametric EQ, and the vertical slider.

The task is simple: I want to have one single band in the eq (Frequency, Gain, Q). I did this by deleting obvious links in the schematics. Now I want to control the frequency with the slider. The slider has been tweaked and can now dial in any frequency between 20Hz and 18kHz.

Only problem is: the frequency graph does not change*. Could someone maybe explain where to look exactly to manage this? I'm pretty sure I insert my values the correct way, but the graph does not respond. On the other hand I might be completely wrong^^

Thanks,
snafu

*it should look like a moving notch filter across the frequency range (10dB gain, 10 Q)...
snafu

Re: Slider for Parametric EQ - Approach

Postby TheOm » Wed May 31, 2017 5:09 pm

For the graph to update you must trigger a redraw on the view whenever you change a value.
Connect a redraw primitive to the graph view and link the output of your slider to the DoIt input.
If this does not fix the problem why not post the schematic here so we can take a look?
TheOm

Postby snafu » Wed May 31, 2017 7:13 pm

Hey TheOm,

thanks for your reply! I've enclosed the schematics - your post gave me a hint (at least I think so), so I followed the path down to Top (double clicking the EQ-image) > Parametric EQ > GUI > GRAPH (>GAIN). I suppose it should be here but can't find what I thought would have to be here :)

If this was C# I'd look for an event to refresh the graphics, or at least a method that handles the graphic output. Since you can manipulate the curves of the untouched Parametric EQ (also included this one) via Mouse, I was looking for some sort of mouse events. There is no ruby module, so I guess there's some sort of module or primitive doing the job?

Thank you very much,
regards
snafu
Attachments
singleBndEQ.fsm
my try to dial in a frequency with a slider while seeing in the gui the curve gain/q and frequency
(44.18 KiB) Downloaded 924 times
ParametricEQ_original.fsm
(41.57 KiB) Downloaded 924 times
snafu

Postby RJHollins » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:12 am

meantime ... while working with FlowStone, try to read up on the action of TRIGGERS.

A lot of this was covered during the SM days, but the concept carries to Flowstone. The more/better TRIGGERS are understood, the more important it is realized they are.
RJHollins

Postby snafu » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:17 pm

OK - I'm totally stuck.

At least I think I got a few things right, but it's still not working, and I'm confused right now. My trigger should be my slider whose value range is from 20 to 20000. And yes, while the slider is moved, the graphics should be refreshed. As far as I can see from the scheme, the parametric EQ retrieves it's trigger to refresh the graphics whenever the value for the freqency has changed. So - in theory - I would just have to add a float output module to my slider which changes the value for frequency inside the parametrics EQ's module. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
Attachments
ParametricEQ_last try.fsm
(44.77 KiB) Downloaded 895 times
snafu

Postby snafu » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:05 pm

UPDATE:

I got it :D Unfortunately it took some time until my last post was approved, and meanwhile (finally) I managed to get it done.
So - in theory - I would just have to add a float output module to my slider which changes the value for frequency inside the parametrics EQ's module. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Well, it's been correct this way - I "just" had to hook up a redraw between the input.

It does it's job - that's what I wanted to find out. I'm still not sure though how the original GUI did work; I'm still looking for something referring to the mouse as input device.

I enclosed the schematic where I got my result - just in case someone is interested in my solution.

cheers
snafu
Attachments
ParametricEQ_singleBand_works.fsm
(42.24 KiB) Downloaded 932 times
snafu

Return to General