Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Should My beloved project be presented to the world?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Should My beloved project be presented to the world?

Postby kortezzzz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:02 am

Hi all,

I was quite bussy lately, so had no time to entertain my self with FS or visit the forum, but now I do have some free time to spend and decided to continue dealing with one of my most beloved FS project ever - Callisto. I come from the arrangers (like korg pa-900 and yamaha tyros) world, and always had the dream to somehow emulate the arrangers consept with a software. About 3 years a go, I finally found a way to fulfill it with some massive help from one of the most brilliant minds ever in this forum, @Nubeat7. We started like feeling in the dark and ended up with nice piece of software that theoretically can appeal millions of arrager performers around the world that has no other alternative to their heavy, pricey, non-upgradeable hardware arranger organ\workstation. My original plan was to introduce this project to some investors and try to raise funds to re-program it on JUCE platform and by that, to make it cross-platform app that may attract a lot of folks, but unfortunately, could't find a solid investor so far (and I met a lot) :?

So lately started thinking about Nubeat's suggestion to try the crowd-funding platform. Please, watch this teaser, and let me know what you think: Is there any chance that such a project would appeal contributers to fund? If not, what should I do else (or not do)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_qVGrJUUo8&feature=youtu.be
Last edited by kortezzzz on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kortezzzz

Re: Should My beloved project be presented to the world?

Postby Spogg » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:40 am

A mazing!! :o

And you did this in my favourite app Flowstone? Incredible :ugeek:

I don't know anything about funding but the crowd sourcing thing sounds good to me.

Would it be ok to share your video on flowstoners.com as an example of what can be achieved? If not no worries, but the exposure you can get might help. Also you could link the video to the Facebook group Flowstone and Synthmaker.

Good luck!!

Spogg
Spogg

Postby kortezzzz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi spog, and thank you for the feedback. Indeed, you can share it everywhere :) . Moreover, I'v always wanted to get the chance to pay back to the community and fund the FS 64 bit upgrade by my self. But looks like it would take some time, so maybe sharing this video would attract new crowd to FS community and the upgrade would become close than ever :D

Don't know anything about crowd sourcing. Any suggestions?
Last edited by kortezzzz on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kortezzzz

Postby tulamide » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Hey kortezzzz,

just watched your video. If I understand correctly, the software is dependent on a third party software (loopMIDI)? Why is that? A midi channel information is transferred with each midi package, isn't it?

In general, I see an issue and that is the existence of competing products, for example Band-In-A-Box or One Man Band. This project would need something unique to stand out. Especially when crowd-funding there needs to be something completely new (not just a new way of doing things) for the crowd to be attracted.

For the video, hire a vocal talent for voice-over to give it more professionality and use more actual footage and less written explanations. People want to see the product in action, rather than reading lots of text.

The GUI is a bit old-school (too old school for me), but that's probably more a matter of taste.

"Callisto" is a registered trade name ( http://www.cheminova.de/de/__products/callisto.htm ). I doubt that it will bring you into trouble, but if they are sharp, they might approach you, when Callisto goes big. So this is more of a reminder.

Having said all of that, I'm very impressed by the deep level of tech you realized here with just Flowstone. Very well done!
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:44 pm

I own Band in a Box and it's very versatile and can go deep if you want but, and this is the key, it's expensive. So I think a final commercial version of this product should have a low price point to attract interest.

FWIW I like the GUI, but then I'm very old myself. Whatever one's taste, I think it's well designed.

The classic crowd-funding site is Kickstarter of course.
https://www.kickstarter.com/

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby RJHollins » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:15 pm

there was another similar idea program called JAMMER. Don't know if its still around.

nonetheless ... watching the vid ... very impressive FS work !
8-)
RJHollins

Postby kortezzzz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks for the nice feedbacks guys :D

@tulamide

Was waiting for you comment. Deep and instructive as always :) .Thanks for the positive feedback.
To your questions:

1) I had to create a solid communication between the DAW and the EXE software. Unfortunately, there is no better way to glue them . We also tried hard to combine the sequencer part with a built in sampler, but it didn't work (probably due to FS's bad ram management).

2) One Man Band and Band in a box are not optimized for live use. Beilive me, I tried them all. They doesn't perform like real arrangers on stage. The idea behind the project was to optimize the software to work in live conditions with a simple midi keyboard and friendly interface and let the users to use as many VSTi they want.
I think that the eventual JUCE version of Callisto (no worries, we will find other name :lol: ) would do it correctly. I'v also let some beta testers to play with it and they all agreed that my concept is the best for live usage.

3) About the video: It's just a very basic video that should tease the masses. I badly need their attention right now, so made this video just for this reason. I'm not a video guy so I'll probably hire someone for that later.

@RJHollins,

Jammer is very basic. I was looking for something deeper and much powerful for live use.
kortezzzz

Postby tulamide » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:03 pm

kortezzzz wrote:2) One Man Band and Band in a box are not optimized for live use. Beilive me, I tried them all. They doesn't perform like real arrangers on stage. The idea behind the project was to optimize the software to work in live conditions with a simple midi keyboard and friendly interface and let the users to use as many VSTi they want.
I think that the eventual JUCE version of Callisto (no worries, we will find other name :lol: ) would do it correctly. I'v also let some beta testers to play with it and they all agreed that my concept is the best for live usage.

I see. Now that's what you should advertise, because it makes it stand out from the rest! Use every chance to point to its live quality. There are a lot of solo-entertainers (weddings, birthdays, company parties, etc.) and the chance to improve the sound, for example to get even closer to the originals they cover, should be a very good argument!
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby kortezzzz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:33 am

You are absolutely right, tulamide :)

I assumed that my potential clients would understand the value of the software only by watching the video and reading the text bubbles. and that's a mistake. I definitely should point that extra-value clearly and loudly.

Well, the final result (after JUCE development) would be totally a different animal. It actually going to be a DAW :o I want it to host VST+VSTI's and avoid the dependence on other DAW softwares. It also will have a built in vocals channels to support the integration with the singers (+the ability to sidechain) and moreover I have a idea to use a special microphone that will communicate with callisto and will allow the singer to power up his own VST effects in the vocals channel by the mic, without any intervention of the keyboardist :)

If I only could share the vision I see in my mind... You was loving it so much :D
kortezzzz

Postby Spogg » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:03 am

Yeah I too didn't spot the intention to use it live so I agree that needs big emphasis.

Band in a Box is an app for creation not live use, for sure.

The closest similarity I can think of is Ableton Live (I don't use it, I have a free lite version that came with my audio adapter) but it's SO expensive to get the full version so you could have a huge interest if the price is right.

I do hope you are able to reach your dream!

Cheers
Spogg
Spogg

Next

Return to General