Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Hardware synth midi controller/editor/library

For general discussion related FlowStone

Hardware synth midi controller/editor/library

Postby MPrinsen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:57 am

Hi!

I'm a FL Studio user and new to flowstone and before I will start, I would like to know whether my idea is possible to create in flowstone or not.

1) I've just seen some examples of software controllers for hardware synths. I would like to make one myself too, but I've read somewhere that (in FL Studio) it's impossible to use the piano roll. You have to use a seperate Midi OUT plugin for that. Is that true? Is this by no means not possible?

2) And is it possible to "generic link" an external midi controller knob to a knob within flowstone?

3) Can you also "send"/"get" all parameters from/to a hardware synth? And is it possible to "sync" all parameters back and forth?

4) And what are the possibilities for preset managing/saving? (So I can use it as a library plugin)

Any help is really appreciated!
MPrinsen

Re: Hardware synth midi controller/editor/library

Postby Spogg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:18 am

Yes I believe it's possible to do what you want.

I did see one or two hardware controllers/editors ages ago when I was trawling through thousands of old Synthmaker projects. I didn’t upload any because I couldn’t test them and I thought they were too niche anyway. Now I’ve had a quick look and I can’t find them (3,506 files) but I do recall it’s possible at least.

I’ve attached a project for sending an entered program change code out to MIDI to give you an initial idea.

I suspect that Ruby will be your friend for this kind of project because I gather its MIDI handling is good. We have Ruby experts here who I'm sure will chip in and help if needs be.

My view is that your controller would need to be exported as a stand-alone executable and not a FL plugin. This needs you to buy the full version of Flowstone. You get all the features then, so it’s money well spent. If you do, please don’t use the published early betas though, just stick to 3.08.1 which works fine.

Good luck!

Spogg
Attachments
MIDI Key Pad Program Change.fsm
(198 KiB) Downloaded 1141 times
Spogg

Postby MPrinsen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Thank you Spogg.

I tried to start, but it is kind of overwhelming, all the possibilities.

It would be nice if someone could help me with a simple project like this:

Midi input: all midi notes coming from the piano roll of the plugin in FL Studio (or played live with a midi keyboard when focussed on the plugin) should be sent directly as midi out to the hardware synth, so this will play.

Eventually, all hardware parameters should be 'locked' to the software parameters, but if someone could get me started by just adding 1 parameter like this:
Midi input of CC3 should control a knob in the plugin called 'Cutoff'. Whenever this knob is moved in the plugin (by a mouse or by automation), it should send the current value to the hardware CC3. So this works back and forth.

This would really help me getting started!
MPrinsen

Postby aefa » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi,
I don't know about the plugin doing specifics while on focus (had my ordeal cuz my plugin wouldn't work unless focused), but if you're on FL that can be easily achieved with MIDI Out or Dashboard. You can also route your plugin to a hardware as well. Then again... focusing wouldn't have to do much with it. Hope you get it done!

Good luck!
aefa

Return to General