Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Cannot get this to automate -stumped.

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Cannot get this to automate -stumped.

Postby Spogg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:08 am

I tested the function of the Rec pin and it does as you say. I used a simple knob and even went back to Synthmaker and the behaviour is the same.

I think I’ve made sense of this. The Rec pin is expected to send data to the host when set to True (as per the component guide) but Reaper picks up the changes anyway. However, it makes sense that during a Recording operation any incoming animation is ignored, otherwise which data would the control use, the live tweaking or any incoming data?

So I conclude that the Rec pin being set to True blocks animation data.

In a classic knob the “Interact” bool operates the Rec pin dynamically, thus blocking any animation signals while tweaking. The parameter views never show an option for setting the Rec pin either, because I believe it’s part of the intended automatic behaviour.

In a situation with switches and the like, there is no interact bool generated, and if you look inside the stock drop-menu selector, the Rec pin is not connected so is permanently at False (zero). This is appropriate for your selector recording and animation playback.

In conclusion just leave the Rec pin unconnected for anything that doesn’t need dynamic and variable behaviour to block animation.

Regarding your other issue I didn’t see any ape shit behaviour in Reaper with the animation working and Mr Om’s solution, but maybe I hadn’t got the thing set correctly to produce what you describe.

Hope this helps…

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby lalalandsynth » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks a lot Spogg for taking the time to check this out .

I guess I misunderstood the Rec function , I assumed it allowed for recording automation from the gui , while the auto pin allowed automation from the daw to the plugin. My FS crash course has left me slightly confused in some aspects of FS :)

What confuses the issue is Reapers inability to record switches in touch mode , I fought that issue at some point and thought it was somehow connected to the rec pin function, in that it needed to be enabled to rec from the gui.
I really need to get the automation tested in other daws and hope it works properly there .

As for my second problem , I will need to track down what is going on there , seems like Reaper is choking on the float values or something , strangely it works just fine for the example posted so it must be something with the specific plugin I am building.
lalalandsynth

Postby Spogg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:59 pm

lalalandsynth wrote:I guess I misunderstood the Rec function , I assumed it allowed for recording automation from the gui , while the auto pin allowed automation from the daw to the plugin.

Yeah me too!
I never looked into this until you raised the topic. I think the Component Reference is misleading and incomplete in this respect, but of course I've only tested in Reaper and it may handle things differently to other DAWs...

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Previous

Return to General