Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Float array to array of points , Line editor.

For general discussion related FlowStone

Float array to array of points , Line editor.

Postby lalalandsynth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:00 am

I am working with the line editor , The output from the line editor is an array of floats.
However it saves its output as an array of points.

After load of an envelope shape it converts this point array into a float array.

But, and here is my question...
Is is possible to do this the other way around ,i.e taking an array of floats and convert them to an array of points?

For example , I can convert an lfo to a float array , now I would like to convert this float array into a point array so I can "load" the lfo shape into the line editor.

I feel like there should be a way to do this , quantising the lfo into discrete float values, gathering them into a float array , then convert that float array into a point array .

I hope I am making sense , could post an fsm if needed?
lalalandsynth

Re: Float array to array of points , Line editor.

Postby lalalandsynth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Maybe this explains better.

From the Line editor output comes a float array.

But to save/load and store to preset it uses some sort of "coordinate " (or something ?) system containing an array of 64 points.
So to input something to the line editor I need this "coordinate" format.

What I want to do if possible is convert a float array to this "coordinate array".
For example to convert an lfo shape to show on the line editor.

array.jpg
array.jpg (95.5 KiB) Viewed 27204 times
lalalandsynth

Postby lalalandsynth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:06 pm

I am almost there , I have converted a float value to the "coordinate" thingy the line editor needs.
But , Now I need a way to stack these 4 values into an array , cannot figure out how ??

Preferably I would like to take the four values and move them into an array stacking on top of the previous 4 values until I have the correct array to send into the line editor.

Any thoughts?

tick.jpg
tick.jpg (72.22 KiB) Viewed 27197 times
lalalandsynth

Postby RJHollins » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:51 pm

just following ....

Are you using 'multi-dimensional' array to store the coordinates ?
RJHollins

Postby tulamide » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:05 pm

The line editor is the awesome work of TheOm. I propose to ask him directly, for example via pm, for help. Maybe he's even interested to extend the line editor by this functionality.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby lalalandsynth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:01 pm

I am using the array builder to insert the fixed values which are the tension and curves shape, so these are static.
Two changing values I need , X/Y.
I am using a counter that counts from 1 to 65 for the horizontal values into the array builder.
And the divided float values to int into the array builder as the vertical values.

As it stands I have this 4 value list with 2 static values and two changing values , what I need to do is "append" or stack up each of the 4 numbers everytime there is a change (the counter advances)

If only I could take the 4 values and sort/stack them into an array , I would have this pretty much solved, except for maybe some sync and timing issues.
4.jpg
4.jpg (90.58 KiB) Viewed 27186 times

As I could not find a way to stack them up I put them into a huge multiplex ,counter to switch it.. each 4 values written into a separate list and all these lists into one list , this way it at least stack up...so this shows that the idea works , I get a list that I can load and everything is sort of working but is a lousy solution. Not even really a solution , there is the issue of multiplex holding values and the whole thing is a bit dodgy.
Multi.jpg
Multi.jpg (47.4 KiB) Viewed 27186 times

Sort of works, proof of concept at least :)
LFO.jpg
LFO.jpg (48.24 KiB) Viewed 27186 times

It feels like it should be simple to take the 4 values and append/stack them into a an array whenever the counter advances , I must be missing something ..I imagine it should be easy with ruby ..i just suck at ruby .

@rjhollins what is a multidimensional array ?

@tulamide , that is a good idea , I should do that .
Having said that , I am sooo close to making this work ...hehe.
I would also need some way of telling it to start capture at the correct spot and end at teh right spot as well.
Also there is the issue of less resuolution when capturing lobger sections.
But , first things first , finding out how to stack this in an array.
Last edited by lalalandsynth on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lalalandsynth

Postby RJHollins » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:33 pm

wooo ... I'm probably not the best person to explain 'multi-dimensional' arrays, but in brief, lay, terms ...

from a quick Google search.
It is a way for your program to store pieces of data as a collection. Arrays can contain any combination of Ruby data types -- booleans, integers, strings, or even other collections in the form of nested arrays and hashes. A nested, or multidimensional array, is an array whose individual elements are also arrays.

that might not be totally clear, but I can say, that they can be very powerful, efficient, way to manage data.
Worth researching 8-)
RJHollins

Postby lalalandsynth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Obviously it would be cooler to have the points appear as it reads the stream but as it stands I think its better to just create the file and load it . But that would need sync to the line editor start and end time.
So, I am open to ideas. :)
lalalandsynth

Postby lalalandsynth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Rjhollins, cool will have a look at that .
Reading some ruby , must be able to figure this out somehow .
lalalandsynth

Postby lalalandsynth » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:51 am

There is also the issue of syncing to the line editor , I would need to know the duration , 2 bars , 4 bars etc and adjust the timing accordingly , its quite possible that I am way in over my head here .
lalalandsynth

Next

Return to General