Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

save multiline text in preset

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: save multiline text in preset

Postby gvalletto » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 pm

adamszabo wrote:The easiest and most simplest solution is to convert your multiline string to hexadecimal then convert it back. The problem is that the string preset only holds 255 (i think) characters and you can only write a small description, but it does the job

Eureka?
I achieved to save long texts using 1 single input box, using hexadecimal conversion as Adam Szabo suggested. See this new scheme.
There´s some bugs, if anyone want to research...
Attachments
save long multiline text in preset.fsm
(32.88 KiB) Downloaded 866 times
gvalletto

Postby gvalletto » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:13 pm

adamszabo wrote:The easiest and most simplest solution is to convert your multiline string to hexadecimal then convert it back. The problem is that the string preset only holds 255 (i think) characters and you can only write a small description, but it does the job

Adam, can I use your idea of convert text to hexadecimal for donationware purposes?
gvalletto

Postby gvalletto » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Hello everyone. What silence is here ...
I want to share a little discovery that meant great benefits to me.
These days, I spent many hours obsessed designing long text preset schemes. Since the primitive "Preset String" pops up that "are restricted to 255 characters", I always worked on separating texts to save them in several separate presets, such as what I published in this topic.
What I discovered Is that when you save the text in hexadecimal format, there is no restriction on length. At least I've used presets with texts longer than 1000 characters and they work fine!
Here I leave the scheme. Thank you all for your interest and for your suggestions.
Attachments
save long multiline text in preset 4.fsm
(30.98 KiB) Downloaded 900 times
gvalletto

Postby adamszabo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:38 pm

gvalletto wrote:Adam, can I use your idea of convert text to hexadecimal for donationware purposes?

Sure you can use it no problem. I have no idea how and why your latest example can save even more text but it seems to work just fine, so use it as you like!
adamszabo

Postby tulamide » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:40 pm

gvalletto wrote:Hello everyone. What silence is here ...
I want to share a little discovery that meant great benefits to me.
These days, I spent many hours obsessed designing long text preset schemes. Since the primitive "Preset String" pops up that "are restricted to 255 characters", I always worked on separating texts to save them in several separate presets, such as what I published in this topic.
What I discovered Is that when you save the text in hexadecimal format, there is no restriction on length. At least I've used presets with texts longer than 1000 characters and they work fine!
Here I leave the scheme. Thank you all for your interest and for your suggestions.

I can imagine that Flowstone doesn't use a c-string internally. There are several string formats in c/c++, the developer can choose to use.
However, always remember that VST is a defined protocol. If you don't stick to the rules, you are not 100% compatible with VST. For example, what about DAWs? A lot of them save the state of your plugin when saving a project. They use the VST protocol to do so. You might lose your text when reloading a project (without saving the preset, but only relying on the DAW state saving). That is just one example. So make sure it doesn't get you into trouble. But in general I wouldn't use anything that's beyond the definition of VST.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby gvalletto » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 pm

adamszabo wrote:
gvalletto wrote:Adam, can I use your idea of convert text to hexadecimal for donationware purposes?

Sure you can use it no problem. I have no idea how and why your latest example can save even more text but it seems to work just fine, so use it as you like!

Thanks Adam!
gvalletto

Postby gvalletto » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:36 pm

tulamide wrote:I can imagine that Flowstone doesn't use a c-string internally. There are several string formats in c/c++, the developer can choose to use.
However, always remember that VST is a defined protocol. If you don't stick to the rules, you are not 100% compatible with VST. For example, what about DAWs? A lot of them save the state of your plugin when saving a project. They use the VST protocol to do so. You might lose your text when reloading a project (without saving the preset, but only relying on the DAW state saving). That is just one example. So make sure it doesn't get you into trouble. But in general I wouldn't use anything that's beyond the definition of VST.

So I must to be care when I export to VST. In the other hand, no problem when exporting exe files, due Flowstone includes its own host with it.
gvalletto

Postby gvalletto » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:08 pm

I just recently exported a VSTi and tried it on Savihost. Long texts work well.
gvalletto

Postby tulamide » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:31 pm

That's fine. And if you're just creating this for yourself, there'S nothing to worry about. If it works in your production environment, just use it.

But you ignore the VST specifications. Keep that in mind. Especially when sharing this with other people. Always point out that this works outside of the VST realm and might be problematic somewhere somehow. Don't share it as "a VST", since that requires to meet the specifications by 100%. If you just share an executable you don't even have to mention it. It is only when sharing a VST plugin, that you need to point it out.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby gvalletto » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:52 am

Ok, thanks by your suggestions. I'll take it into account. Meantime, I will continue to researching on a "legal" way to work with large texts...
gvalletto

PreviousNext

Return to General