Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Is this message is actually "BSOD" a like?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Is this message is actually "BSOD" a like?

Postby kortezzzz » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:02 pm

https://imgur.com/kokiYeM

Is this message means that my project file is gone for good? FS just doesn't load it anymore :|
Is there any fix or anything I can do to save it's content?
kortezzzz

Re: Is this message is actually "BSOD" a like?

Postby Spogg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:44 am

I assume you already tried a reboot of the PC...

Do you have anything in

C:\Users\"yourname"\Appdata\Roaming\Flowstone\Recovery ?

If so, delete it and try again.

Does FS correctly open your previous earlier versions? If so then your latest version has got corrupted. You may have to repeat some work since your last version, unless you have a safety backup somewhere. I have a folder called SAFE where I copy all my landmark stages just in case.

If not then will FS open other projects? If not you have a corruption in the FS installation itself, especially if FS terminated incorrectly with a crash. I found that this is most likely to happen if you go to close FS and it asks if you want to save your work and you do, then it closes. I never do that these days, I always save then exit.

I hope you're not using a published 3.09 beta because they aren't at all stable.

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby kortezzzz » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks for the detailed comment, spogg.

The problem is only with one single file. Already re-installed FS, checked the "recovery" folder (nothing there) and I'm not using the Beta 3.09. But yes, I did saved after been asked by FS for saving and not before. hours of work just gone :(

Seems like there is always a risk when we work with FS and we should be very careful, especially with big projects, because the crush can randomly occur. From now on, I'm gonna save at least every 10 minutes progress in it's own file.
kortezzzz

Postby Spogg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:25 am

kortezzzz wrote:
The problem is only with one single file...

...Seems like there is always a risk when we work with FS file...

Yes indeed, been there and I have the tee shirt :lol:

My last project, my ASS, had 272 incremental saves, each with its own development stage number. I make a change and when the change is acceptable I make a Save as version. Then, as I mentioned before, when the project starts to grow I close FS an re-open it quite often. Plus, if I get totally absorbed and I forget and get a crash (crush?) I get the opportunity to be really creative with my language.

Maybe I should do a kinda tutorial based on my experience...?

Anyway, good luck with your project!

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Save regularly, save often is not really new. It's standard behaviour for every developer.
Incremental saving is my way as well. Similar to Spogg. Sometimes I forget to change the filename when uploading a help solution, that's when you see names like "fileread_05.fsm" or similar. At least you can see then at which stage I thought it's good enough for the forum ;)

It is not needed to save every 10 minutes. In fact you should save right after starting a new schematic, which saved me loads of issues. Then, save whenever you are about to do a big change, so that you can revert to an older version if it turns out to be the wrong path.

In your special case I'm pretty sure that ignoring the manual that explicitly only allows one preset manager and going with 9 (?) has a lot to do with what you're experiencing now :P

EDIT: To clarify, with "save" I actually mean "save as"!
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby kortezzzz » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:31 pm

Thanks for the nice cynical comments, guy's. That's one of reasons why I like this forum. Finally, I'v re-built the lost @#$@#!* schematic by spending few more hours, and ended up with cute 17 new copies of every little progress :?

Spogg wrote:Yes indeed, been there and I have the tee shirt

Spogg wrote:I get the opportunity to be really creative with my language

:lol:

Thanks god the language allows us some space for creativity :D Anyway, I believe that selling this T-shirt can actually fund the 64bit development :lol:

tulamide wrote:In your special case I'm pretty sure that ignoring the manual that explicitly only allows one preset manager and going with 9 (?) has a lot to do with what you're experiencing now :P

For me, The final results are the main reason and purpose of everything. Few lost hours are a small sacrifice if the eventual results are shiny. Besides, I'm the only developer in the world that uses 9 preset managers in a single plug-in :P , so a good friend would call "Guinness World Records" instead of Tongue outing :lol:
kortezzzz

Postby Spogg » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:11 am

Besides, I'm the only developer in the world that uses 9 preset managers in a single plug-in :P , so a good friend would call "Guinness World Records" instead of Tongue outing :lol:

Never mind the Guinness Book of World Records I think the Flowstone police should be informed about your highly illegal behaviour!
Spogg

Return to General