Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Using Ruby midi as O\I swithes

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Using Ruby midi as O\I swithes

Postby kortezzzz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:04 pm

@tulamide

Tried to duplicate your code to map the full range keyboard, but the code is acting strange here. Its randomaly won't work after re-loding the schematic or just freaks out and gives alwaya "1" from all outputs with note c.

Any idea what's went wrong?
Attachments
(midi notes detector_full octave).fsm
(18.12 KiB) Downloaded 914 times
kortezzzz

Postby tulamide » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:43 pm

It's either your machine or the way you copied them, or the way you connected them to the midi stream. It is a weird fsm that's behaving strange. Also, you removed the after load prim, but it is needed!

It's not my module. Find an example attached. That one is working totally fine on my machine.
Attachments
detect_notes.fsm
(867 Bytes) Downloaded 929 times
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby kortezzzz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:50 pm

tulamide wrote:It's either your machine or the way you copied them, or the way you connected them to the midi stream. It is a weird fsm that's behaving strange. Also, you removed the after load prim, but it is needed!

It's not my module. Find an example attached. That one is working totally fine on my machine.

Thats really whird :?
All I did was just a openning your ruby module 12 times in my schematic straight from the tool box. That never happened before. I tried it again with your last example and the same thing happens, even with the afterload prim.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time, buddy. I really appreciate the willingness and the persistence. this time I'll just go with the good old greens, but perhaps, others may use it correctly on their machines.

kortezzzz

Postby tulamide » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:55 am

kortezzzz wrote:
tulamide wrote:It's either your machine or the way you copied them, or the way you connected them to the midi stream. It is a weird fsm that's behaving strange. Also, you removed the after load prim, but it is needed!

Thats really whird :?
All I did was just a openning your ruby module 12 times in my schematic straight from the tool box. That never happened before. I tried it again with your last example and the same thing happens, even with the afterload prim.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time, buddy. I really appreciate the willingness and the persistence. this time I'll just go with the good old greens, but perhaps, others may use it correctly on their machines.

I stil have one or two ideas. Let me see if I can improve it for your toolbox.

EDIT: What a coincidence! Have a look at this: http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3597&p=34790#p34790

EDIT2: I wonder if you and Spogg use 3.0.8.1? I highly recommend using 3.0.6 (which I use), since there are some severe bugs in the former. That could also explain why I don't experience such weird behaviour.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:49 am

Fascinating!!

Yes, I use 3.081 but I'm reluctant to downgrade in case I get issues with any old projects. Do you know of any other bugs with 3.081? I am already aware of the modulo bug in DSP coding.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby kortezzzz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:32 am

Wow,

Yes, I use 3.081 too :o

Well, at least we know what's goin' on :)

3.06 was overall ok, but I remember few plaguy bugs there too. One of them is related to the multi sample primitive which won't save the schematic with an empty buffer even when you tell it to do so. Seems like the most stable was 3.04, but I have no idea if it's still relevant, or my schematic will fail loading :?

EDIT: Went back to 3.06 and WOW, everything works a lot better! :shock: The CPU usage in the DAW decreased by half!

I probably stay with 3.06 untill FS 4.0 comes up. Thanks for the suggestion, tula :D
kortezzzz

Postby Spogg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:29 pm

kortezzzz wrote:EDIT: Went back to 3.06 and WOW, everything works a lot better! :shock: The CPU usage in the DAW decreased by half!

OMG :o I had NO idea there was such a difference. It's interesting too that the 3.09 alphas produce plugins with about half the CPU.
Spogg

Postby kortezzzz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:41 pm

@tulamide,

Now, thats is realy strange, but your module still won't load correctly after load even on 3.06 version. Tried to re-load it while whispering "ABRA KADABRA" and "SHAZZAM". Nor worked for me :lol:

Is there something special in this code?
Can someone else confirm?
kortezzzz

Postby HughBanton » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:44 pm

tulamide's detect_notes.fsm is really instructive. As a Ruby novice I have a couple of questions ...

I had a shot at a MIDI processor myself the other week, tidied up & attached here again. It's twofold purpose is : to turn a MIDI stream on & off, so that a 'voice' can be switched out & in (even if notes are already held and the MIDI data has been and gone), and also to select & filter activity to a specific MIDI channel.

I see detect_notes.fsm uses "v.status, v.data2" etc. which I wasn't previously aware of. I presume these belong to a Ruby MIDI class that I know nothing about! Where would I find this info? I managed to get what I wanted by putting my MIDI_In into an array (as explained in the User Guide) and then reading this array. It works, but I'm deducing there's an easier using the MIDI class .. ? :idea:

Second question about detect_notes.fsm concerns the absense of " if i == 0 then .. " etc. I would have assumed this line would be needed to read the MIDI_in on input 0. If it's not a dumb question is there a reason why it's not needed in this instance?

Third question (oops I said 'couple', can't count either) is the line " if v == nil then return end ". Presumably that exits if there's no MIDI to deal with; should I have it in mine as well? And is it something worth putting into most Ruby modules to avoid CPUsage?

Thanks for any answers - I will consider myself educated!
Attachments
midi_control_ruby.fsm
(181.03 KiB) Downloaded 941 times
HughBanton

Previous

Return to General