Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

would making a book about Flowstone make any sense?

For general discussion related FlowStone

would making a book about Flowstone make any sense?

Postby tester » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:54 am

i mean - sure, there is users guide, but it does not focuses really on logic of practical tools (like how to make xy pad, and how do add more dots on it, or statistical tools, or signal processing philosophies), and it does not mention too many (thus - it does not inspire to use such).

But asking about sense. On one hand - FS is quick visual modular dataflow prototyping tool with realtime preview and ability to produce execs, on the other hand - it's a bit 'forgotten' platformand limited to windows (32bit vs 64bit is not real issue here) and somewhat with limited interface capabilities (in terms of both, visual, and linking with external stuff). i'm not sure if this "platform" is dissolving, intact or evolving. :mrgreen:

Making a book is a few months of work, and then it's rather useful to stick to that for a while.

Your thoughts?
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Re: would making a book about Flowstone make any sense?

Postby Spogg » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Go on then :lol:

Seriously, I would have loved such a thing at the start but I have to say that learning the hard way has been a lot of fun and brain excersise for me. And still lots more to learn.

It's such a deep program that I think it would take an immense effort and not just a few months.

Reaper has such a book, and I have it, but that's a mainstream DAW with a huge following so a publisher would be encouraged financially, but I doubt many copies of Flowstone Power would be sold.

Just my thoughts!

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tester » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:51 pm

It's not a matter of "go on then", I'm not sixteen. Apart from that, I did some book writings in the past, self-publishing is also not a foreign thing for me (except for marketing - I don't like that part), so I know how to briefly estimate such project on technical side, and what to include (and what to ignore too). :mrgreen:

But getting involved even into few months - it's time and effort. Right now I have to balance such things. On the other hand... You know, with writing is like with programming. :D
tester

Postby Spogg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Tester!

Maybe my attempt at humour was innapropriate; I didn't mean to insult!

For me the task would be monumental but since you have experience you have a much better idea of what would be involved. I personally wouldn't know even where to begin.

If you do decide to do this at any point I would be very happy to proofread and help with the details, and I'm sure others would chip in too.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Nubeat7 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 am

just do it as pdf so everybody can download it for free, no publishing and marketingstress and everybody can benefit from your knowledge ;)
and another one, are you thinking about bringing other peoples schematics from the forum into the book? just that i would know before...
Nubeat7

Postby tester » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:39 pm

@Spogg - no problem :mrgreen:

@Nubeat7 - If I decide to make such book - probably "yes and no". Depends on complexity of solutions and on few other factors. There are portions of code or schematics, that can be understood as generalized ideas (for example many gui components fit that range), and me, like everyone else - is making them from scratch in no-time, in many variations.

But let me put it in these words.

1. Mentioning, who developed, ported and optimized specific solutions (schematics, ideas) for flowstone - yes.

2. Mentioning who helped/contributed to find specific solutions that I was looking for - yes.

3. Including unmodified schematics - some yes, some no. The general idea is:
a) to bring the logic behind approaching modular/visual/dataflow development, and
b) to understand strategies ("you don't need to know how to build a butterworth filter from scratch with it's coeffs math, in order to understand how to use butterworth filter and what for" so to speak).
As an example. Schematic for a butterworth filter can be copied "as is" (and connected to people who made it) because it was ported/developed (and optimized) from external sources. But schematic for a N-state circular button is "Flowstone specific" (and is created from generalized, flexible ideas). FS is designed for rapid prototyping, so I think, some ideas should be covered in detail, and some can be treated as "black boxes" (with some appendix technical notes for geeks).
tester

Postby lalalandsynth » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:48 am

I personally think it would be a waste of effort , I dont think this program is going anywhere .
A damn shame to be sure but I am just being realistic.
lalalandsynth

Postby fixstuff555 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:10 pm

For what it's worth, I've been told very recently that a new version is coming soon, so it's not dead yet.
fixstuff555

Postby billv » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:28 am

fixstuff555 wrote: so it's not dead yet.

No!!..WRONG..says the Immortal Lindsey Buckingham, Master of all things Alive or Dead.

To be alive-Requires OXYGEN and Flowstone does not have this variable inside it. :lol:

Everyone knows Flowstone is
Quote"She's a dead ship sailing, with a Skeleton crew". (Mark Knopfler)
Now that your busted, claiming fasley Flowstone is alive,please take tour medicine now
At You tube, type in "Wrong" by Lindsey Buckingham. Play the song loud. After you will feel right.

But it won"t for the fans of Tulamide who got his self respect butt fucked by BAD TONE,
leaving him not choice but to bail out, into his chosen method of EXILE.

This message was brought to you by "The Saga of the Exiles" by Julian May.
billv

Postby fixstuff555 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Not sure what that last post was ranting about. I got my answer straight from DSP, so I know it wasn't bullshit.

Back to the original question: Yes I do think you should publish a book. I would recommend something like Lulu:

https://www.lulu.com/

Nice thing about this. You can update it as much as you want, people can get updates, and you can make money on it. I'd buy a copy, as no doubt would many others. I'm sure most everyone who loves Flowstone would be willing to pay something for a book on Flowstone, versus just asking for free. maybe you could get folks who have contributed code snippets to offer there contribution as content. FWIW, Anything I have posted in the past you're welcome to use. I would even be willing to help out with the project if your interested. Flowstone is still a phenomenal piece of software regardless of it not getting an update.
fixstuff555

Return to General