Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

ROXY's Instant Envelope Follower Demonstrator

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

ROXY's Instant Envelope Follower Demonstrator

Postby rocknrollkat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi gang,
Many of you I'm sure wonder what goes on inside modules labeled with esoteric names like 'Envelope Follower'.
Then when you open 'em up, you see what I see.
Code.
Oh goody.
2 years into the books to find out what's happening, bad idea.
I don't know modern code either, but don't despair, these modules are emulating real world electronics devices.
So let's take a look from that perspective.
Consider that we have a waveform of varying amplitude, louder, softer, like music.
Those variations are called the "amplitude envelope".
We can extract a D.C. voltage that tracks those amplitude fluctuations over time with something that follows the envelope, yup, an envelope follower !
That extracted D.C. voltage can be used to control oscillators, filters, etc., in step with the changing amplitude of the waveform in question.
Here's how it's done.
Send the waveform into a diode to be rectified into D.C., then filter that sloppy D.C. with a capacitor, and there you have it, a smooth D.C. voltage that follows the amplitude of the original waveform !
Open up the box, see what's inside.
I disabled the V.U. meter's internal ballistics so it follows the Envelope Follower's ballistics.
Have fun, and part two is in the hopper, stay tuned, this gets better !

ROXY :D
Attachments
ROXY's Instant Envelope Follower-1.fsm
Follow those elusive envelopes, here's how !
(767.66 KiB) Downloaded 1173 times
rocknrollkat

Return to User Examples