Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

The Quilcom Wavemaker 3: A tool for waveform geeks!

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: The Quilcom Wavemaker 3: A tool for waveform geeks!

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:14 am

Nice job, Spogg!

I have been messing around with wavetables in the past and have gathered some tools that may help with smoothing, tiltinng, DC removal etc. You can also shift the phase so the wave will start at zero (to avoid possible clicks).

Oh, and you could also use one of my pitch extractors to isolate one cycle from an instrument sample. ;)
Attachments
WaveArrayProcessor.fsm
(13.31 KiB) Downloaded 1013 times
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 am

Amazing stuff Martin!

I did wonder if you'd made anything like that but I wanted to have a go myself first. Your solutions are, as always, just SO elegant.

By doing it myself I did learn about offline bi-directional low pass filtering which I thought was a remarkable method. Apparently it’s used for data extraction from noisy signals where the wave shape (=partials phases) is important. One application is in ECG machines where the exact wave shape is critical for clinical evaluation and diagnosis:

https://uk.mathworks.com/help/signal/ref/filtfilt.html

I’m intrigued by your mention of wave cycle extraction. Might I ask if you could upload something to demo it?
I can see a Wavemaker 4 coming in the distance. Maybe even with a better GUI :lol:

Thanks again Martin :D

Spogg
Spogg

Postby BobF » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:49 pm

tulamide you are 100% correct, I completely forgot about Spogg's web sight. If musicians, producers, audio engineers, and so on go there it makes perfect sence to have a nice gui. I guess I need to work on my gui's also. Mine are the worst. I'd really like to see my Vocoder with a nice gui!

P.S., I really like your show before and after idea Spogg. Great thought!

Cheers, BobF.....
BobF

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Yes, bidirectional filtering is cool, I have used it a lot in image processing. Boundaries are a bit tricky though.

Here is an automatic wave cycle extractor. For me, this has been a real world excercise in organizing my schematic:
- How to deal with green spaghetty all over?
- Which connections could be hidden (as wireless connections) without obscuring the overall structure?
(I often hide redraw triggers and the like.)
- How to break the thing down into logical units and subunits?
(general rule: if a group of objects has more internal than external connections, then it is a good module candidate)

Have fun! ;)
Attachments
WaveCycleExtract.fsm
(745.74 KiB) Downloaded 1032 times
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:03 am

martinvicanek wrote: Boundaries are a bit tricky though.

Yes I found that out! If I understand you correctly, this is why I had to create the "Tilt" option. If I make a pulse (like an ECG) in the middle of the wave area, with left and right at zero, then all is well but with a wave going to the edges (even with zero-crossing) when the second reversed pass happens, the incoming LPF signal is not at zero (due to phase shifts), so the step affects the wave on the right hand side.
It took me ages to (a) work out was "wrong" and (b) to find a work-around: tilting.

I shall study your work in some detail Martin, since I now have a better appreciation of the challenge.

Also, I'm very impressed with your wave extractor. I need to study it to work out why it is so much smoother and more responsive than mine (on the same loaded waves). It would be nice, operationally, if the zoom function zoomed from the left, so the left side was fixed when zooming. I think it would make isolation of the desired section easier. Maybe I could modify it, once I've worked it out.

Thank you SO much for sharing :D

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:30 am

This post is just to prove a point. I hope it contributes to the wish for a good UI.

I found a user review of Viper, plus an additional comment from another person. I quote only a small part of them, with the important lines in bold:

"I downloaded the demo just to play with the features. I ended up being totally blew back to the point I ended up buying the synth the very next day after sound testing it for about an hour.Easy/nice looking interface and easy to navigate. I love the two filters, but what impressed me the most was the arepeggiator."

"I sound tested the demo for hours against dune 2. Viper won in my opinion even though dune 2 is still a kick ass synth. But viper is so easy to use, and the factory sounds it has are absolutely awesome. The arpeggiator is actually better than dune 2, way better imo."

I think that it points to the importance of a good UI. They wouldn't have bought Viper without it, although they were convinced of its sound.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Yes I'm convinced of the importance of a good looking and easily useable GUI!

So I must try harder!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Halon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:55 am

Thank you for this Spogg. Will have fun with this for shure.

Cheers
Halon

Previous

Return to User Examples