Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Quilcom GRECHO: A "Granular" echo device

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Quilcom GRECHO: A "Granular" echo device

Postby Spogg » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:48 am

Hello ‘stoners!

I made the Quilcom GRECHO after spending much time experimenting with circular asynchronous write/read buffers for audio.

It’s NOT a regular echo device by any means, so to get an idea of what it can do you can watch my YouTube demo here:

https://youtu.be/5D9LaNUtpZ0

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/etcau28cvjjsg ... 2.zip?dl=0

Originally I’d planned to have preset grain lengths and clear the buffers for every change of time selection.
However I found it more fun to have a fully variable control. The downside is that this can cause discontinuities in some circumstances. If there is audio running in the buffers, the change in length can cause crackling, for example when playing with high feedback levels or increasing the grain length to cover previous sound, or transitions from sound to silence. So it’s not zipper noise!
If you select a grain length and then leave it untouched, or change grain lengths with no sound in the buffers, there’ll be no crackling.

I think of it as a kind of creative toy rather than a “proper” effect, but I hope you have a bit of fun messing around with it.

As always, all comments welcome!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Re: Quilcom GRECHO: A "Granular" echo device

Postby Phil Thalasso » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:45 pm

Thank you Spogg.
Looks and sounds good.

Regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Well done, Mr. Spogg!

I have always been fascinated by the sound of what I would call human unisono. Basically a group of individuals singing or playing the same melody. When you try to emulate such a setup by just replicating the stream of a solo instrument it will be nowhere near. That's why I say "human": each individual has a different pitch, timing and timbre, and that is decisive for the result.

So far all my attempts to synthethise human unisono have been a complete failure. Quilcom GRECHO has the potential to get much closer. Good job, Mr. Spogg!
martinvicanek

Postby BobF » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi Spogg,
A very cool delay, I would NOT have believed you could get these types of sounds with grains. Very impressive and really the noise is not that bad. Great work as alaways!

Later then, BobF.....
BobF

Postby Halon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:12 pm

Great stuff Spogg! Will try out later today. At my moms atm :)
Halon

Return to User Examples