Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Powerfull Midi manipulation Ruby library

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Powerfull Midi manipulation Ruby library

Postby User108 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Hello to all, I've found some awesome midi library MIDILIB (Google it for details) and succeeded to fully integrate it to Flowstone's Ruby - no need to carry extra files, just paste one instance of Ruby code component containing all the functions of MIDILIB - and you are ready to process midi files. Hope, this will give birth to long-awaited sequencers written in pure Ruby. Good-luck! I also attach original MIDILIB - you don't need it, but may look at its factory code examples.

And I would thank all the developers for such a perfect tool as Flowstone. I was disappointed by Synthmaker's inability to deal with binary files, but now Flowstone fixed this and brings me back as a happy user thanks to Ruby. :)
Attachments
MidiRuby component 1.2.fsm
MidiRuby component 1.2
(19.77 KiB) Downloaded 1937 times
MidiRuby component 1.1.fsm
MidiRuby component 1.1
(18.94 KiB) Downloaded 1735 times
midilib-master.zip
Original MIDILIB
(66.03 KiB) Downloaded 1894 times
User108

Re: Powerfull Midi manipulation Ruby library

Postby Jay » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:18 am

Hi user108 Welcome to the forum

many thanks for you efforts and sorry this has been largely ignored! how ignorant! :oops:

is there any chance that you could show how to use this?

I am trying to pick Ruby up but myself and a lot of others here are only skimming the basics of Ruby atm!

Best Regards
Jay

Postby billv » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:42 am

Jay wrote:is there any chance that you could show how to use this?

+1
Just started using ruby and still have no idea.
Love the sound of what you have offered(thanks for sharing)- :o
But extremly hard to approach for a ruby learner. :?
A basic FSM showing this stuff in use would be awesome....
Cheers
billv

Postby User108 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi, I'm very happy I could help someone. :D But I'm quite new to Ruby too, as well as MIDILIB and Flowstone, though I made some experiments with SM. Primarily I program in Hiasm Studio - http://www.hiasm.com , unfortunately it became abandonware now, so I try to move to Flowstone.

But here is what I could do at first approach, please see attachment.
Attachments
MidiLib Ruby example 1- from scratch.fsm
MidiLib Ruby example 1
(20.47 KiB) Downloaded 1843 times
User108

Postby billv » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:32 am

User108 wrote: please see attachment.

Thanks a lot. :) Will take a while to absorb......
billv

Postby trogluddite » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:43 am

Welcome, user108
That's a really neat library by the looks of it - with a couple of extra methods to translate to a from the FS built-in Midi class and timing clock it could be the beginnings of a great new toolkit - thanks for sharing it with us. :D
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby User108 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:50 am

Hello, trogluddite. Where is MIDI, there's trogluddite.. (c) :) Thank you too for all your helpful posts at SM forum.
I also found that there are some Ruby video libraries out there, but it seems they have much more dependencies to integrate into Flowstone, so I'll try to explore them in future. That would enable us to create even some VJ-ing apps and plugins with FS.
My personal interest in Midilib appeared due to my plan to create the sequencer of my dream - "DreamSeq".. Which I could then use to "paint" music with sequences (being able to record and select them live from a variety of 16384 pre-recorded sequences - 128 banks x 128 programs with just 2 knobs), not just sounds.
User108

Postby MyCo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm actually working on a Midi Player, but I've started from zero (no Lib used). So far I've a Midi Reader, and some classes that allow Midi data access. It works actually really well except that I've no idea how to handle Midi Format 2 (because I've never seen such a file).
I'll start with a player today... But there are still some challenges, especially calculating the event timing...
MyCo

Postby primate » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:05 pm

Is anyone using this? Looks like a great library but despite user108's helpful example I'm struggling to see how it is implemented. If anyone is working with midilib? I'd love to see some more examples.
primate

Postby aefa » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:00 pm

I know this is an old post but, did anyone ever got anything out of this lib? All I can do is read the file make a sequence or a MIDIFile but I can't figure out how to parse events and tracks out of it! :(
aefa

Next

Return to User Examples