Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

GreySynth

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: GreySynth

Postby Spogg » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:00 am

RJHollins wrote:
I checked the Recovery Folder, and it is Empty.

Oh well...

But did you try the backup of the appdata FlowStone folder and re-install thing I suggested? You never know...

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:19 am

I get a menu null error.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby billv » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:18 am

wlangfor@uoguelph.ca wrote:I get a menu null error.

Can you explain in more detail...like what OS and what FS version your using..?
billv

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:11 pm

billv wrote:
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca wrote:I get a menu null error.

Can you explain in more detail...like what OS and what FS version your using..?

I was using the flowstone fl studio which I believe is 3.08. It was a windows dialogue that pops up saying menu null. Admittedly, I hadn't tried it in flowstone, but I promise I will. At the time I'd only had a few minutes because I had just gotten back.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby RJHollins » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:02 am

Hello Gentlemen ...

So I had a bit extra time, and returned to tracing down the CRASH issue I'd been having ... found a bit of a surprise.

I have 3 versions of FS ... 3.04, 3.06, 3.07

For the longest time, 3.04 was all I used. It wasn't till I hit limits on certain schematics posted here that used some newer RUBY commands/Syntax, that would not work on 3.04 .... thus the Upgrade.

3.07 just seemed to work better for me ... so I stayed with it. TILL this GreySynth schematic blew up on my system.

Tonite I find additional issues ... but now with MY schematics that I made a long time back [using 3.04] ... many of them were crashing 3.07. Reverting back to 3.04, they were able to load and work. hmmm. Not in 3.07 nor 3.06.

Interesting.

Looking in the schematic, which in my case contain the Main working module I build .... BUT, there are GOBS of various 'test' modules .... side experiments ... ideas, and early concepts scattered around the workspace.

Yes ... even SOME of them are inside my 'working' module/project ... However ... they are NOT actually connected to any part of the actual projects connections .... again ... scattered pieces of experiments/tests/ what have you.

Hey ... I know its' not pretty ... but no one would usually see this if I released ... it's just me learning as I go .... again .... not a pretty site :|

So here's what I'm finding:

These un-used modules can sometimes have RUBY module in them ... and some of them are showing the dreaded RED ANT OUTLINE saying Ruby Error.

I went in and shut OFF the module .... only to have some other un-used Ruby piece go Red-Ants on me.

After a point ... I just started DELETING these un-used pieces.

I'm still trouble-shooting all of this ... but I did get a previously Crashing schematic [then fix in 3.04], to now load in 3.06 [ i think 3.07 still crashed ... so maybe I missed something].

Anyway ... this is what I've gotten up to.

What does it all mean ? If these un-used RUBY [not even connected to the actual project] are the source of the Crashing ... oh boy ... all of the many projects made with 3.04 will not likely load into 3.06, 3.07.

In trying to understand ... the obvious questions .... is there an 'easier' FIX ? or any fix that doesn't require hand editing every old schematic, throwing out un-used pieces ???

I'm still doing my same experimenting in 3.07 .... everything works [well .... at least not crashing FS]

I don't see how I can change my ways. I do this for pure fun :| [i know .... sad]. But sometimes I need to make an app that I need ... and I have to often do plenty of experimenting because I ain'ts no programmer ... just someone stubborn enough to try and make it work. [oh it can get ugly]. My only salvation hopes are You Guys ... as no one around me has even a glimps of understanding any of this. Basically .... I'm working without a Net. :mrgreen:

I call it fun and relaxation. :geek:
RJHollins

Postby Spogg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:59 am

I think that incompatible stuff in your toolbox can also cause trouble and I think that trog addressed this a while ago.

That was one reason I suggested making a backup of your Appdata FlowStone folder, renaming it and then doing a new install of say 3.06. I suspect that, for whatever reason, you haven’t tried that yet and I would love to know if it fixes the Greysynth and your other issues.

If you did already try this then please accept my apologies!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby trogluddite » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Spogg wrote:I think that incompatible stuff in your toolbox can also cause trouble and I think that trog addressed this a while ago.

Yes, dodgy toolbox modules can cause problems sometimes, though it is rather rare, and it tends to manifest itself as general problems with running FS rather than problems with specific schematics (though there is a caveat regarding Ruby, which I'll come to in a moment.)

A good quick test is simply to open FS with an empty schematic, then scroll through all of the pages of the toolbox. The scrolling through is important, as the thumbnail images in the toolbox aren't just bitmap images - if a module has a GUI, the module is loaded and has its drawing routines called in real-time. Hence, you need each module to appear in the toolbox pane for a moment. However, to be completely sure (as you suggested), it's best to simply backup/rename the folders in %appdata% (make sure to do the 'Tags' folder as well as 'Modules', as the tag files point to file paths in the 'Modules' folder.)

It can be a little more complex for Ruby. If a GUI module in the toolbox contains any RubyEdit components, they will be initialised, and might have their methods called when generating their thumbnail. This can cause problems if the RubyEdit defines new classes/modules, or if they modify any of the existing ones, as those changes will be visible to all RubyEdit components in all open schematics - potentially changing their behaviour. However, I think that this is very unlikely for most people - the few people here who use class/module definitions regularly generally know Ruby well enough to avoid the obvious pitfalls.

RJHollins wrote:These un-used modules can sometimes have RUBY module in them ... and some of them are showing the dreaded RED ANT OUTLINE saying Ruby Error.

Next time you find one of these, can you post it for us to have a look at. I'm interested to see if the Ruby errors show up on anyone else's system, and what they might be - which might offer some clues to the wider problem. My suspicion at this point is that it may be a DLL problem, either one of FlowStone's own components, or a Windows component that's relied upon which may be missing, corrupted, or out of date.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Previous

Return to User Examples