Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Bobs "Ring Synth"

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Bobs "Ring Synth"

Postby BobF » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:39 pm

BobsRingSynth.fsm
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 859 times

BobsRingSynth.rar
(4.54 MiB) Downloaded 852 times
NOTE: Rar file contains the fsm and exe, this text in pdf, and a Midi tune, "Pop Corn" , played on the "Ring Synth".

Hello Gang,
Following Spogg’s lead making percussion instruments, I made this percussion synth. I call it “Ring Synth”, because of the way it works. Basically, it’s six filters set right on the verge of oscillating. When a sharp pulse is sent to them, they RING (a burst of sound at the resonant frequency).

Features:
1. Midi input with velocity.
2. Six ringing filters, three 24db "Chebyshev" filters and three dual "State Variable" filters in series, and one noise source.
3. A selection of wave shapers to add harmonics, rectifier (half & full), sigmod to square, 1/2freq (sub) ( 3 filters only), Sub plus 2xFreq, and Ring Modulator.
4. Three lfo’s, used mostly for special effect sounds. LFO 1 is for filters 1 and 5, LFO 2 is for filters 2 and 6, and LFO 3 is for filters 3 and 7.
5. ADSR envelope control, mostly used for attacks.
6. The ability to use the output of filter 3 to trigger filters 5, 6, and 7.
7. One Arpeggiator.
8. One Scope and One FFT analyzer

How to use it:
To start make sure all the LFO’s are at zero (depth knobs), waveshapers are on thru, sigmod is disabled (little white button (white NOT green)), Ring Modulator is not selected (little white button), 3 out to 5,6, and 7 is also NOT selected (also, little white button), and ADSR is set for no attack and a long decay, or just start playing with the presets. Make sure the filters resonance is set just below oscillation (at least .9xxx). Select an octave range, start around 4 for the Chebyshev filters and -3 for the State Variables, and set tuning pointer near straight up (Study the presets). Adjust the volume and play some notes. Again, PLEASE STUDY the presets for a while and you should soon be making your own cool percussive sounds.
Note: all filters settings(LP,HP,etc) work except "Band Reject".
Cautions, watch your volume when experimenting! Some settings can cause wild oscillations, howling, and so on.

Have fun and PLEASE post your comments and patches.
Later then, BobF.....
BobF

Re: Bobs "Ring Synth"

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Thanks Bob, I'll check it out and make some patches for it. Ring huh? Interesting maybe.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby Spogg » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:43 am

Interesting approach Bob and thanks for sharing.
It seems capable of a huge range of sounds and that’s always fun to explore. :D

Now I’m sure by now you expect me to find “issues”, :lol: so here’s what I found:
    I can’t turn the ARP off (other than by deleting all the notes).
    There are several duplicate preset parameters, highlighted in the attached document.
    It would be nice to have an INIT preset to set the synth up as per your info.

When these points are addressed I would love to have another look and dig a bit deeper.

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
Duplicate preset parameters_.zip
(11.32 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
Spogg

Postby Phil Thalasso » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:32 pm

Thank you Bob.
Best Regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Postby kortezzzz » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:26 pm

Very interesting concept, Bob. Thanks for sharing :)
kortezzzz

Postby Halon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks Bob
Halon

Return to User Examples