Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synced LFO

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Synced LFO

Postby Father » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:34 pm

slv3.jpg
slv3.jpg (10.23 KiB) Viewed 41761 times

Simple LFO with:
- 4 wave forms
- Min and Max controls
- Sync option (1/32 bar to 8 bars)
Update:
Here is the new version with some changes:
- Improved position sync solution.
- Oscillates while not playing in sync mode.
- Sawtooth wave form is now reversed in sync mode.

Update:
- New delay control to add offset, with sync option (in Beats).
Update:
- Replaced the selector to work with blue "Is Playing" prim instead of green, to prevent glitches on play, specially with larger projects.

Update:
- Deleted the unnecessary "Multi Osc" module. Now using the same oscillators in both free and sync modes.
Synced LFO v3_2.fsm
(164.83 KiB) Downloaded 1696 times

Let me know if anything goes wrong.
Special thanks to Nubeat7 and PHI.
Last edited by Father on Mon May 25, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Father

Re: Synced LFO

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:34 pm

I made this here a little while back:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2223

I'm digging your little selector though. I much prefer those kinds of graphical selectors.
Perfect Human Interface

Postby Nubeat7 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:06 pm

but there is one important difference, because father's lfo is ppq synced that means it is always synced to the songposition, doesn't matter where you start to play it is on the right position,

while in your design it is just temposynced and it starts at 0 when you start playing doesn't matter on which position in the song you are.
Nubeat7

Postby Xtinct » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:28 pm

It would be preferable to have both ppq synced when host is playing and tempo synced when not, otherwise you have to have your host constantly playing to hear any changes when sync is on.
Xtinct

Postby Nubeat7 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:51 pm

you can use the ramp primitive and select beween ppq ramp and ramp for free running or temposynced without ppq
Nubeat7

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Why not use the Is Playing prim to sync the OSC's? Should be simple.
Perfect Human Interface

Postby Nubeat7 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:49 pm

Perfect Human Interface wrote:Why not use the Is Playing prim to sync the OSC's? Should be simple.

because the lfo always starts at 0, no matter on which position in the song you press play, so it is not locked to the song position

your solution only works correct if you always start playing at the beginning of a song or the position a cyclestart of the lfo in relation to the songstart
Nubeat7

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:33 am

I mean you can do both. Sync using your codes while playing and calculate Hz to the OSC prims while not playing.

I'm working on this right now... Father/Nubeat, could you explain why the values used in the selector are 4x what I'd expect them to be (1 bar = 4, etc.)? It's really confusing me.
Perfect Human Interface

Postby Xtinct » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:56 am

ppq = quarter notes, 4x quarters = 1 bar
in 4/4 time, adjust for other signatures.
Xtinct

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:07 pm

Xtinct wrote:ppq = quarter notes, 4x quarters = 1 bar
in 4/4 time, adjust for other signatures.

PPQ = Pulse Per Quarter yes
The schematic should adjust to different time signatures. Nubeat's sync modules did take in the time sig values so I assume it is doing so. But the "speed" selector outputs values that are different than I expect. The selector is for the sync rate in "bars," and I'd expect them to be the reciprocal (i.e. 1 bar = 1, 2 bar = 1/2, 1/4 bar = 4). Idea being that if you want the LFO to cycle once every 4 bars then you want it 1/4th the speed of 1 bar. That's how I did it in my LFO. But the values here are all multiplied by 4.

I was working on marrying my LFO with this PPQ sync LFO (thanks to Father and Nubeat since I never even realised how important this is). I implanted things into my original schematic and had it working perfectly (identical synced output to Father's) as long as the sync code output was multiplied by 4. But when I switch waveforms to Saw or something I got a bad result for some unknown reason. So I tried feeding the code the original values from Father's schematic but started getting confused in the whole implementation (I have trouble keeping track of everything in my head sometimes and if I look at something I made 6 months ago I probably can't follow my own math :P). So I was just wondering why the values were numbered as they were.
Perfect Human Interface

Next

Return to User Examples