Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Oscillators

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Oscillators

Postby martinvicanek » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks for your feedback, guys.
@Spogg, I added a normalized variant, where the wave form will never exceed +-1. The downside is than when you crank up the q parameter, overtones are added at the cost of the fundamental. Blame Parseval. :mrgreen:
In the non-normalized variant the fundamental amplitude stays rock solid no matter how many partials you have on top. As you correctly observed, in that case you have to watch out to avoid clipping.

@Roxy, as Adam pointed out, the green division is only ever carried out when you change the green-yellow-red thresholds of the LED. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to use *0.05 instead of /20, and you never know in which other context your modules might be used in future, so I changed that.

As for the peak indicator, it will evaluate the max of the past 4096 samples and output that value during the next 4096 samples (93 miliseconds). So even a single sample overshoot wouldn't go unnoticed. ;)
martinvicanek

Postby rocknrollkat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:11 pm

martinvicanek wrote:Thanks for your feedback, guys.

@Roxy, as Adam pointed out, the green division is only ever carried out when you change the green-yellow-red thresholds of the LED. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to use *0.05 instead of /20, and you never know in which other context your modules might be used in future, so I changed that.

As for the peak indicator, it will evaluate the max of the past 4096 samples and output that value during the next 4096 samples (93 miliseconds). So even a single sample overshoot wouldn't go unnoticed. ;)

Hi Martin,
Thanks for your timely and insightful reply.
I'm guessing that the 4096 sample evaluation is being carried out in code, which leaves me out of the mix.
I haven't kept up with assembly, etc. since the mid 1980s, sadly enough. (I used to program SNOBOL4 as well !)
But at 70 years old I don't have the time to set aside to learn modern assembly, Ruby, etc.
Thanks for bearing with me !

ROXY :D
rocknrollkat

Spreading Partials

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:42 am

This oscillator builds on the previous one, however it adds a completely different character. An additional input is provided with the ability to spread the partials of the waveform. This is achieved with a math trick used in single sideband modulation. The result is a partials sequence at frequencies
f, f+d, f+2d, f+3d,...
where f is the fundamental frequency and d is the spacing between partials. If you choose d = f you'll get the common harmonic series, while d = 2f gives you only odd harmonics comparable to a triangle or square wave. Useful for flute sounds. Higher spread factors d = 3f or d = 4f provide a marimba or vibraphone like sound. Non-integer spread factors result in anharmonic sounds which can be used to synthesize steel drums and other ethnic percussion instruments.
Attachments
SpreadPartialsOsc.fsm
(45.12 KiB) Downloaded 1437 times
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:43 am

Truly wonderful Martin!

The normalised version of the original behaves more like the classic analogue Moog filter with a higher value of resonance set.
For anyone not aware, on the old Moog increasing the Q reduced the fundamental and frequencies below cutoff and this can be a desirable effect for some sounds. For example it creates a more punchy sound with an initial down-sweep of the cutoff frequency. Great for Bass and Lead sounds.

The spready one… what can I say? Simply amazing! Just by changing one value you get access to a huge new palette of sounds. I love it so much.

Also I've added your Restricted Edit box and your exponential AHDSR to my toolbox. Brilliant additions.

Now, could you please upload your brain so I can enhance my old one?

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks, Spogg. Your account on the Moog filter is spot on. Funny I have always considered it as a drwawback that the low frequencies get reduced at high resonance, especially for bass sounds. I am a bass player and I like a big, big bottom! ;)

The Edit box, I have to admit, is not mine originally. Too bad I don't remember who made it, :oops: TheOm perhaps?
martinvicanek

Postby tulamide » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Martin,

those oscillator gifts are so generous! I was playing around with both new ones and forgot about time, that's how inspiring they are. Damn, your stuff is so high class.

Thank you so much for sharing them!
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:16 pm

martinvicanek wrote: Funny I have always considered it as a drwawback that the low frequencies get reduced at high resonance, especially for bass sounds. I am a bass player and I like a big, big bottom! ;)

:lol:
Inspiration for a new Quilcom name? Big Big Bottom.

I was thinking more about the classic synth bass sounds from the Mini Moog. They tend to use a very fast down-sweep to give a percussive nature to the bass. Not to everyone's taste maybe. I do love bass!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby FlowStoner » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:48 am

Martin, I say :shock:
FlowStoner

Postby martinvicanek » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks for the kudos! I updated my waveshaper osc (added phase input).
Peace. :)
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 am

Even more wonderful!

You give so much to us all Martin.
You've taken Flowstone far beyond where it started out and I thank you bigly.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples