Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Oscillators

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Oscillators

Postby RJHollins » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:36 am

I've been looking forward this this section ... particularly the PINK generator.

I hope to get to this tonite, as I've noticed that different 'generator' actually sound different :shock:

Something else I'm looking at ...

I use pink-noise as a source to do quick'n'dirty gain staging through an effects chain [old school technique from back in the pure analogue daze].

One of the issue I'm watching is the changing level output. I understand the randomness required, but I'd like to get a more steady output level [minimal fluctuation]. Will look at this Martin creation tonite.

THANKS!!!
:)

BTW ... quick look ... NICE radio button design and function 8-)
RJHollins

Postby KG_is_back » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:32 pm

You may also create Brownian noise. With a simple 1-pole lowpass filter (integrator) after white noise generator.
KG_is_back

Postby martinvicanek » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks, Nix, for mentioning Brown noise. I think it can be useful so I added it in the original post.

KG_is_back wrote:You may also create Brownian noise. With a simple 1-pole lowpass filter (integrator) after white noise generator.
Right. I have used a slightly fancier integrator, though, one that goes all the way up to Nyquist. Probably does not make much difference, but anyway.

RJHollins wrote:BTW ... quick look ... NICE radio button design and function 8-)

Thank you. :)
martinvicanek

Postby tulamide » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Phew... with all these new things to learn, I can't keep up with the pace! KG's excellent ASM course, your brilliant oscillator course. But now, after having released the spline class, I will take the time to study all that I have missed. Thank you!
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Low-Frequency Oscillators

Postby martinvicanek » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:08 pm

(MV's Oscillators Part IV)

A low-frequency oscillator delivers a control signal to modulate sound. For example, a periodic amplitude or frequency modulation results in a tremolo or vibrato effect, respectively. Modulation, even if applied in subtle amounts, can add “life” to an otherwise sterile sound. This is particularly important in synthesisers, but is also applied to “natural” instruments in effect pedals etc. to make them sound “phat”.

Since LFOs operate in the time domain, aliasing or spectral purity is not a concern. However, LFO waveforms with discontinuities may result in unwanted clicks further down the processing chain. Even worse, if applied to the cutoff frequency of an ordinary biquad filter, a single discontinuity may interrupt the audio stream. Therefore, some sort of (preferably adjustable) smoothing is necessary for such waveforms.

LFO waveforms need not be periodic. In fact, periodic modulation is predictable and may sound boring or even annoying (ever listened to a pan-modulated Fender Rhodes with earphones?).

In the schematic below I have included some common waveforms as well as a number of random LFO waveforms.

As (a slight variation of :twisted: ) the signature of a prominent forum member says: Don't stagnate, create and modulate. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.

Edit: Added a bugfixed schematic (thx adamszabo for the report).
Attachments
MVsLFOs_fixed.fsm
(91.62 KiB) Downloaded 1307 times
MVsLFOs.fsm
(94.32 KiB) Downloaded 1677 times
Last edited by martinvicanek on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
martinvicanek

Postby tester » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:12 am

...which leads me to a question worth to ask I guess.

If stock shape oscillators are used, then after them - should be some sort of "de-zipper" added (stock? not so stock due to 1ms resolution of stock?), with transition time calculated from both - shape size (in samples) and frequency used for modulation?

I guess this refers to some rare cases only (i.e. I guess there are enough steps within jnd range / "just noticable difference" to give the impression of smoothness).

As for noises. Interesting one is called "grey noise" (equal loudness patterns), but it's somewhat subjective I guess.

I will definately check your randomness... :-) I remember I used dezipper and value trigger to achieve some interesting effects (and I guess some sort of curve shaper between points could be used too).
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Re: Low-Frequency Oscillators

Postby MyCo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:39 am

martinvicanek wrote:Since LFOs operate in the time domain, aliasing or spectral purity is not a concern. However, LFO waveforms with discontinuities may result in unwanted clicks further down the processing chain.

Why are you using the BLEP code for the LFO then? Wouldn't it be cheaper to use the naive wave forms and pass them through a first order lowpass?

Here's a code suggestion for the sync parts (haven't checked how you do it in the ASM though):
Instead of:
Code: Select all
s = 1&(sync>0);
saw = saw0 - phase;
saw = saw + (-0.25 - saw)*s*(1 - s1);
s1 = s;

you can do:
saw = saw0 - phase;
saw = saw + (-0.25 - saw) & ((sync<=0) | (s1>0));
s1 = sync;

When you do the sync input as streamboolin like the stock oscs, it can be even simpler:
saw = saw0 - phase;
saw = saw + (-0.25 - saw) & ((sync==0) | s1);
s1 = sync;

Disclaimer: untested code!
BTW: I don't think the sync even works with the BLEP LFOs, because the cycle length of the BLEP get's completely messed up.
MyCo

Postby Tronic » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:39 am

this algorithm help to make the hard sync version
Polynomial Transition Regions (PTR)...http://research.spa.aalto.fi/publicatio ... s/spl-ptr/
Tronic

Postby Tronic » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:55 am

and here the better implementation
(EPTR) EFFICIENT POLYNOMIAL TRANSITION REGION ALGORITHM
http://smcnetwork.org/system/files/IMPR ... THESIS.pdf
Tronic

Postby martinvicanek » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Thanks for your comments guys. MyCo, Your suggestion to use a 1st order LP is valid, because it also works for the sync. I believe sync and s1 should be the other way around but I see your point, thanks. Tronic, thank you for the links, will check them out.
martinvicanek

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples