Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synth with LFO Crossfading

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Synth with LFO Crossfading

Postby tulamide » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:40 am

Well, that works flawless, Spogg. Awesome! And you did it so quick!

But it also confuses me. If I remember correctly, it started with a statement, that this wouldn't be doable with the midi prims. Which is why I thought of Ruby. But now that it works, a Ruby solution is no longer necessary, right?

EDIT: 20 minutes later, I unfortunately discovered a misbehavior. Use any three notes, for this example I use C, E, G (in ascending order, use very short decay and no sustain to more clearly hear the outcome). Misbehavior marked as "(!)".

First sequence:
Hit E, you hear E, hold it
Hit G, you hear G, hold it
Let go G, you hear E again
Hit G, you hear G, hold it
Now hit C, you will hear E (!)
Let go G, you will hear nothing (!)

Second sequence:
Hit G, you hear G
Hit E, you hear nothing
Hit C, you hear nothing
Let go G, you hear nothing (!)
Let go E, you hear nothing (!)
Now with C always held, press any of E and G and let go, in any order you like, you will hear nothing (!)
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:56 am

Yes indeed! It’s far from perfect and fool proof, although I didn’t get the same result with Sequence 2. In both sequences you didn’t say if Retrigger was on or off, as that will affect the behaviour. Retrigger is something like having Hold Stolen and Retrigger Stolen set to True on the regular MIDI prim. The DSP captures the first note played and keeps that as a reference for higher/lower, until all notes are released.

I was just curious about what I could achieve in DSP with such a simple MIDI mono prim and as I said, a proper Ruby solution would be much better. I even hesitated to share it because the approach is far too simplistic, but it could give an idea of what the final result might sound like.

In fact note assignment is fiendishly difficult I believe. That MIDI mono prim gives no information as to which set of notes is currently pressed or whether the most recent note is highest or not. That’s a task for ruby code, because the information will be found by keeping track of MIDI note ON and OFF messages.

Also we need to know exactly how the synth should respond to playing a higher note while holding a lower one. Should it re-trigger the ADSR? Should the held note be retriggered when the higher one is released?

One thing my DSP does prove is that the ADSR will respond to a single sample drop of the Gate signal (retrigger) at any time. My DSP for the Env control works in that respect. Your Ruby code needs to supply a valid note pitch and the gate on/off float, and my Env control code will do the rest.

So, I’m looking forward to seeing it done properly in Ruby, and it would be appreciated and educational for me if you could describe the approach, the algorithm, that you settle upon, because I don’t find it easy to read other people’s code.

Now I must mention that I will be away from home for a while. Sue’s daughter (34) has stage 4B cervical cancer and is having chemo, and it’s our turn to stay with her and help with her 5 year old son and baby.
I hope to be back 13th October, but I can’t use Flowstone while I’m away.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:05 am

The best to you and your family Mr. S.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby RJHollins » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:21 am

Family is in Our Prayers.
RJHollins

Postby Phil Thalasso » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:34 am

I'm thinking of you and your family, Spogg, God bless you all.

Best regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Postby aronb » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:01 pm

Spogg,

"Stay Strong" - as a 7 year cancer survivor, my very best wishes to Sue (and the entire family) - being together, sharing your time, love, and helping one another is what really matters in life...

Aron
aronb

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:27 pm

I hope things are successful with your family Spogg :)
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby gvalletto » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:40 pm

My best wishes to your Family, Spogg! Have faith!
gvalletto

Postby Spogg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:44 pm

Guys!

Thank you all for your kind words. It’s been a tough time as you will understand.

This isn’t social media but I do feel I have many friends here.

Lots of love to all of you!

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:05 pm

I can't bear it, Spogg! Lost a friend to cancer who was 31, my own 2 pound tumor luckily did not spread. Sue herself has had such a hard time, and now her daughter. I can't imagine how one deals with such a situation. I guess showing her love is the only thing. I send all my good vibes over. Tell'em dirty cells to fuck the fuck off!
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples