Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Emu of Yamaha CS-15's big brother, CS-30L

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Emu of Yamaha CS-15's big brother, CS-30L

Postby k brown » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:55 pm

Finally fleshed out an emulation of the CS-15's big brother (but actually it's predecessor) the CS-30L. The '30L was the CS-30 with added performance controls in place of the sequencer. Like my plug based on the CS-15, I've kept the added features to a minimum.

Yumaha CS-30+ copy.jpg
Yumaha CS-30+ copy.jpg (157.39 KiB) Viewed 14582 times

Yumaha CS-30L +.fsm
(479.19 KiB) Downloaded 886 times

On Music Society, Bluesmoke posted his emulation of the CS-15 and mentioned it's presets were based on a Yamaha Patch book, but I wasn't able to find it online. I did however find such for the CS-30/L, so I included loose approximations of those 10 patches in Yumaha CS-30 +.

I did two versions with different GUIs. One is like the hardware, the other (shown above) has the sections rearranged in the less confusing layout of VCO 1, VCF 1 and VCA 1 grouped together and VCO 2, VCF 2 and VCA 2 grouped together, that was used on the other CS-series 'dual-system' synths. The version with the original layout is suffixed '_op' (for original panel).
Yumaha CS-30L +_op.fsm
(478.9 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
Last edited by k brown on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Re: Emu of Yamaha CS-15's big brother, CS-30L

Postby k brown » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:50 am

Here is one of the patchbook presets called "Cries From the Bottom of the Earth" :shock:

You hear just two notes held down and a single effect plugin - my favorite, Fuzzpilz's Charsiesis.
Cries From the Bottom of the Earth.wav.zip
(3.49 MiB) Downloaded 927 times

It's best heard with headphones.
Last edited by k brown on Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
k brown

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:25 pm

Cries from the bottom of the earth; I've heard those cries. Will be interesting to hear them synthesized, lol.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby k brown » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:53 pm

CS-30 + updated (in original post) to include, now 30 presets.

I attempted to realize all the presets from the Yamaha CS-10/30/30L Synthesizer Patch Charts booklet, except those for the CS-30 that utilize the sequencer. The CS-10 presets could be included because it had the same circuits and control ranges as the CS-30/L (it had only one of everything and no performance controls).

Apparently there was one of these patch books for the CS-15 as well, but I've yet to find it online.

Most of the sounds are pretty cheezy and useless on their own, but do provide some useful starting points, and help with familiarization with such a complex synth.
k brown

Postby tulamide » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:33 am

k brown wrote:Fuzzpilz

IGITT! Wie eklig! (Translate "Fusspilz" from German to English, to understand my reaction :lol: )
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby k brown » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:24 am

Given the wack-o humor of the creator of the (I think now-defunct website "Bicycles for Slugs", where the Fuzzpilz plugins were hosted), I'm sure the reference to the German sound-alike fusspilz is no accident. Have you seen the names of the default presets in his Oatmeal synth?
k brown

Postby k brown » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Decided to do two alternate versions of this. The original, in the first post has been updated with almost three dozen presets (those from the Yamaha CS-30/30L patch book, plus a few of my own) ;) and has been re-named CS-30L +.

Alternate version one has a simple step LFO added, to push it a little closer to the CS-30. This now has the name of the original version : CS-30 +.

Yumaha CS-30 + copy.jpg
Yumaha CS-30 + copy.jpg (153.21 KiB) Viewed 14479 times

Yumaha CS-30 +.fsm
(548.58 KiB) Downloaded 892 times

Still has the additional performance controls of the CS-30L that the CS-30 lacked ('Brilliance', which opens and closes both filters together, and 'Sustain', which despite it's name actually extends the release time of all three envelopes.)
Last edited by k brown on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
k brown

Postby k brown » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:22 pm

Alternate version two has in place of the step LFO, an auxiliary 'LFO B', which shares the same wave selectors at each target; targets can choose LFO, LFO B or equal mix of the two. For those who just can't abide having just one LFO, and don't need a sequencer (especially a very limited one) built into a synth.

Yumaha CS-30L+2 copy.jpg
Yumaha CS-30L+2 copy.jpg (150.62 KiB) Viewed 14479 times

Yumaha CS-30L +2.fsm
(539.51 KiB) Downloaded 899 times

In all three versions I've made the Portamento, Sustain and Brilliance controls alternately controllable by the mod wheel, aftertouch, foot pedal, breath or pitch wheel. Yamaha clearly intended these controls to be used during performance, and placed their sliders just to the left of the keyboard where most synths had/have p-bend and mod wheels. The CS-30/30L had no mod wheel, and a sprung lever in place of a pitch bend wheel. Since mouse-ing an on-screen slider with the left hand while playing the keyboard with the right is no small challenge for even the most ambidextrous among us, being able to control these functions with some kind of MIDI hardware controller is as close as we can get to the way one would play the hardware synth. For example, one could choose aftertouch to control Brilliance, the mod wheel for Sustain, and a foot pedal for Portamento time.
As a concession to modern expectations, I've included a switch to redirect the LFO through the mod wheel.

Though I resisted the temptation to load these up with 'goodies' they do have the following added:
- Both oscillators have Triangle available (as in the CS-15).
- Both oscillators can have their pulse widths swept by any of the EGs or external controllers (just 'cause I love the sound of an envelope sweeping pulse width; something ARP always included in their instruments, and a key element of several of the Pro Soloist's presets).
- Osc Sync (and therefore a selector to send p-bend and Pitch EG to either or both oscs).
- Feedback around VCF 2 (fattens the sound a good deal, but use with caution).
- Output 1/2 Balance can be controlled by an external hardware MIDI controller.
- Both VCAs have panpots.
- In place of the LFO 'Ext' 'Function' selection (output of an envelope follower fed by the external audio input) there is Martin's lovely smooth random LFO waveform.
- The VCFs' input selectors have more sources available.
k brown

Return to User Examples