Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

FM Synth with a twist

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: FM Synth with a twist

Postby tulamide » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:54 pm

k brown wrote:Martin - you alright? - you sort of drifted off there.

No, he thinks about your mentioning of his optimized OSCs not supporting sync. His brain is already steamed up and ticking, finding clever ways to introduce sync to those, without giving up too much of the processing time reduction he managed to achieve. 8-)
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby k brown » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:13 am

So, you think he just waltzed away from his computer in mid sentence to start working on it? :geek: :D
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby kortezzzz » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:55 am

Such a great project, K. I was just a little busy with my own so tested it now. I love everything in it and yes, it should be commercial indeed. However, I personally think that in the nowadays, GUI components (button and knobs) should be a little bigger with some sort of extra designing gimics to appeal the youngsters. Let's see how Martin comes up with the syncing. Gonna be interesting seeing it growing to a FM monster :)
kortezzzz

Postby k brown » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:38 am

Thanks k--xzz - I forgot to mention in the OP that I recommend that the schematic be ticked up a notch in size before generating the .dll; then everythings nicely larger.

You won't catch me appealing to the youngsters! 8-) The whole idea of this GUI is to resemble a drawn schematic on paper - even the clipping indicator 'lamps' bugged me a bit because they conflict with the concept. I'll probably try to replace them with something 'flatter', that look like the knobs and just 'whiten' to indicate that clipping is nigh.

The sync discussion is actually off-topic, not for this project.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:13 am

Since it seems you’re still open to changing or adding stuff I’ll mention that I would like to have an option to use the pitchbend wheel for the purpose that God intended. I thought initially that you wanted to make as close a replica as possible, so I didn’t mention it before.

I’m not really a musician but when I do play I sometimes like to bend pitch, especially when there’s a nice repeat echo added. Makes me think I’m in Pink Floyd back the sixties. :lol:

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:15 am

Yes, for this ...GS version I wanted to stick to what the GS1 didn't have. The alternate version, I'm thinking more and more will be modeled after my beloved little DX100, but with the single 8-op algo of GS1. So this will have P-Bend, Mod Wheel, full-featured LFO - as much of the DX100 that I can fit on the GUI without crapping it up. Thinking of calling it SkematicDXG.
k brown

Postby k brown » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:57 am

Here it is - decided to call it Skematic GSx, since the point of both these is exploring the possibilities of the GS1's single 8-op algorithm; or I should say dual 4-op. I'm pretty sure I got most the DX100 functions in here.

SkematicGSx copy.jpg
SkematicGSx copy.jpg (218.24 KiB) Viewed 14162 times

SkematicGSx.fsm
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 922 times

One thing I did different from the DX100, is the footswitch activated Sustain - I left it as it was in ...GS partly because I just really liked that function and partly because I haven't a clue how do it as it is in the DX - when activated it holds all the envelopes at their Sustain stages even after all keys are released; not sure that's even possible in FS.

P.S. - In response to Spogg's perfectly reasonable expectation as to how the Lord expects to use a Pitch Wheel, I've micro-updated '...GS' (in OP) to add a switch to toggle PB to normal operation with ranges of a third, a fifth or an octave.
Last edited by k brown on Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:21 am, edited 14 times in total.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Well, the SkematicGSx is wonderful! :shock:

And thank you for adding actual pitch bend. You will be smiled upon favourably. :D

I love the “All Rhodes Lead” preset name and sound. Very nice!

I hope you plan to announce this on our FB group. I think folk will be very impressed.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:10 pm

Always good to have a happy Spogg around :D

Looks like there's a six-op, dozen or so algos version of this just around the corner; for those more comfortable diving deeper into FM. But I think the Eno/generative thing needs attention first.
k brown

Postby k brown » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:04 am

Updates to both SkematicGS and SkematicGSx; refinements to:

- Keyboard Level Scaling.
- Aftertouch scaling.
- AMS/AMD levels/scaling.

And added select-able number of keys for the Key scaling to match whatever keyboard you have. The GS1 had an 88 note keyboard (not many of have one of those), the DX7 had a 61 note kybrd and the DX100 had 49.

UPDATE: Added onset delays on all envelopes in both versions.
k brown

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples