Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

String Orchestra Synthesis

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

String Orchestra Synthesis

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:40 pm

I have always been fascinated by the powerful sound of a symphonic orchestra. Could this quality be synthesized? One would think that a bunch of slightly detuned oscillators will do the job, but to me that sounds like - well, a bunch of detuned oscs, not like a real orchestra,

I have made some progress lately. :D The proof-of-concept schematic below uses a noise driven comb filter as an oscillator. The filter loop gain is designed in a way that the partials line widths increse for increasing frequency. This is supposed to simulate a distribution of slightly detuned unisono tones. There is a knob labled "Phat" which cachanges the parameters to produce the sound of a single instrument, an ensemble or a full orchestra.

Have fun, feedback is welcome!
Attachments
StringOrchestra1.fsm
Added velocitx, vibrato/tremolo, aftertouch, reverb
(86.82 KiB) Downloaded 1265 times
StringOrchestra.fsm
(66.76 KiB) Downloaded 1256 times
Last edited by martinvicanek on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
martinvicanek

Re: String Orchestra Synthesis

Postby Spogg » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:19 pm

First impression is WOW!! :o

This could form the basis of a very convincing string synthesiser. I can imagine it sounding great with a velocity to Attack time and volume (louder notes attack faster), with some delayed LFO vibrato and some nice reverb.

Now, I’m in need of some technical clarification, if you don’t mind. ..
The sound generating bits look like Karplus-Strong topology. But I don’t see how it could sound so good and stay in tune with only integer value delay times. I guess there’s some trickery with the All-Passes but I don’t get it just by looking.

As a side issue, I was amused by that Inertia knob! Very clever!

Brilliant as always!

Spogg
Spogg

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:19 pm

Spogg wrote:First impression is WOW!! :o
Thanks!

This could form the basis of a very convincing string synthesiser. I can imagine it sounding great with a velocity to Attack time and volume (louder notes attack faster), with some delayed LFO vibrato and some nice reverb.

Agree with all of it, plus louder notes sound brighter.
I also think with some modifications it could produce some good sounding human voice "aah" "ooh" etc.

Now, I’m in need of some technical clarification, if you don’t mind. ..
The sound generating bits look like Karplus-Strong topology.
Correct. However, as oposed to KS, which starts with some impulse and then decays, in this scematic there is a constant noise feed refreshing the contents of the delay line(s). You can view it as a noise driven comb filter.
But I don’t see how it could sound so good and stay in tune with only integer value delay times. I guess there’s some trickery with the All-Passes but I don’t get it just by looking.
Correct, there is an allpass unit in the delay loop which takes care of the tuning and compensates for the delay introduced by the filters in the loop. Yes, somewhat tricky, but it works. ;)

As a side issue, I was amused by that Inertia knob! Very clever!

Brilliant as always!

Spogg
martinvicanek

Postby adamszabo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:31 pm

Wow very cool Martin! It really does sound like an orchestra! By the way do you happen to have an interpolated version of that poly safe delay you used?
adamszabo

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Yes, I do. ;)
Here are two variants: linear and allpass interpolation.

Have fun!
Attachments
PolysafeInterpolatedDelays.fsm
(4.11 KiB) Downloaded 1226 times
martinvicanek

Postby adamszabo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Awesome, thank you so much ;)
adamszabo

Postby k brown » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Very cool! - immediately put me in mind of the Fairlight sounds on Kate Bush albums, especially 'Running Up That Hill' (play the tune on it :P ).

Any way to control the intervals being generated, for the illusion of different chords being played?

I love the filter in this too - is that something you cooked up recently, or am I late to the party :) ? I especially like that it has no resonance with the Q at zero - unlike the SVF, which always has that 'bump' even at minimum res. What's the Trk control doing in this, since it's not connected to Pitch (or is it supposed to be)?
Last edited by k brown on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby billv » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:57 pm

This is really great martin...well done... i love the sound...i love the filter as well..
all of the knobs do something that's "musical".. :D
I like to add this to my "Greysynth"..maybe..in the future...Thanks again.. :)
billv

Postby kortezzzz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:29 am

:o Unbelieveble sound, Martin. Every thing sounds so a live and rich and I've been able to create beautiful articulations with it 8-)

Asking for permission to skin it. This one can beat any string machine out there with some work. Take a look at Hans Zimmer Strings \ spitfire audio VSTi. There is nothing in this 799 euros - 183gb content that cannot be developed with this synthesis gold with some efforts. Great job. It can open a door to a variety of synthesized orchesrta instruments :geek:
[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo [/url]
kortezzzz

Postby k brown » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:02 am

This can sound pretty 'hole-in-the-middle-y', especially with headphones; here it is with a Width control. Also added Velocity and a little more logical controls layout (imho ;) ).

StringOrchestra_w.fsm
(304.88 KiB) Downloaded 1234 times
Last edited by k brown on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Next

Return to User Examples