Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

String Orchestra Synthesis

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: String Orchestra Synthesis

Postby martinvicanek » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:47 pm

@Kevin, what do you mean by "control the intervals being generated, for the illusion of different chords being played"? The thing is polyphonic, so you can play any chord you like. :?

The filter is a matched second order lowpass. Good that you mention, I didn't pay too much attention to the periphery, just put together some parts that happend to be lying around. I might reconsider and use some leaner filter eventually.

Yes, the trk control is supposed to set the amount of keyboard of keyboard filter tracking and should be connected to the pitch. :roll: :oops:

Your modified schematic crashes my FS but I get your valid points and will include them.

@Kortezzzz, I'd be happy if you make a decent GUI for it. (I need to think of a name for "it"). Would you be willing to share the result?
martinvicanek

Postby kortezzzz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:49 pm

Sure Martin. Take a look at my site and tell me if you like the design attitude. I have some similar instruments like your strings, but way much simple than your monstrous synthesis. Their design is quite a proven design that had been downloaded by tens of thousands. I got some good feedbacks about the design and generally, this design just works by any mean. True, I'm not a minimalist and I have my own style, but the youngsters love it (and they even don't care it's made by flowstone like the veterans, since they don't even know what is flowstone...)
https://www.fananteampro.com/
kortezzzz

Postby k brown » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:26 pm

@Martin - I think what I meant was a way to change the nature of the ensemble sound; it has a 'chordal' nature. The Phat knob changes the apparent number of 'players' in the ensemble but not the pitch differences (or illusion thereof). Maybe I'm just high.

I changed my schem to ASIO out - see if it doesn't crash now; but you probably don't need to refer to it to do the changes I suggested ;) .

Funny thing about the KB Trk - it seems to do it's thing without being connected to Pitch; actually seems to work better that way :?:
Maybe I'm just high.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby BobF » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm

StringOrchestra_w_Bobed.fsm
(4.15 MiB) Downloaded 1143 times

Hello Martin,

WoW, I found this to be fantastic and a really great orchestral instrument. I am sending a exe copy to a musician friend, I will give you feedback on how he likes it later on. I too added a new feature for your approval.

I added a "Feedback" control, that emphasizes various harmonics , watch spectrum as feedback is slowly increased. It has both negative and positive feedback. For some settings turn the volume down as there will be clipping, especially in the negative direction. You could also add a band pass filter to selectively choose different harmonics if so wished.

Again, great job Martin, BobF.....
BobF

Postby martinvicanek » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:07 pm

Thank you all for those encouraging words. I uploaded a version with added features in the first post.
martinvicanek

Postby k brown » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:20 pm

While this certainly isn't anything like Martin's plugin GUIs on his site, and kortezzzz will think this won't appeal to the kiddies, here's my take on it in a vintage ARP-style GUI, for all us old f*rts 8-) :lol: .

StringOrchestra copy.jpg
StringOrchestra copy.jpg (137.4 KiB) Viewed 15061 times

Patterned after the ARP Explorer I

Explorer CP copy.jpg
Explorer CP copy.jpg (49 KiB) Viewed 15054 times

SOS_arpGUI.fsm
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 1120 times

Only a few of changes to the schematic - 'Phat' Width control, wider LFO speed range, selectable PB range, LFO mod of Filter, Lo boost/cut added, Detuner simplified to a +/- 24 semitone control and longer EG times ('vintage' standard 10 sec.).
k brown

Postby kortezzzz » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Kevin, this is a lovely design! I like it. However, I personally will always prefer a little bigger sliders, but the overall look and appeal is terrific. Very pleasing and solid. Cheers! :)
kortezzzz

Postby k brown » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:34 pm

You're right, I should at least make them a little wider.
k brown

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:11 am

I like this, it sounds more likee brass but I'd like to make something with it eventually.

I'll get a nice reverb with your 7 made soon. Had many things on the go. It'll be crazy good.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby k brown » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 am

If you're referring to my ARP-y version, yes the default settings it opens with are sort of brassy - if you open Martin's original, it sounds more like a string orchestra; just proves the wide range of sounds it's capable of.
k brown

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples