Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Simple Arp

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Simple Arp

Postby kortezzzz » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:15 am

Thanks so much again for the fix, Josevo!
Just tested. Works great inside flowstone but not in my DAW :?
kortezzzz

Postby josevo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:10 pm

Exo wrote:Here is the simple arp module that I was previously selling...

There has been a report of stuck notes, but right now I couldn't fix it. So this is open sourced do what you like with it :)

I'm sorry I didn't read the first post from Exo but the most recent comments.

Regarding the original file, here is the first debugged version, problem was the midi switch (multiplex prim), the @started variable was not updated.

And some more lines of Ruby were added.
Attachments
SimpleArp8Demo_OriginalDebug01.fsm
(147.74 KiB) Downloaded 799 times
josevo

Postby djbrynte » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:46 pm

Are u serious Josevo did u fix it? damn ur inzane man!
djbrynte

Postby josevo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:31 pm

djbrynte wrote:Are u serious Josevo did u fix it? damn ur inzane man!

I'm not sure I solved the original problem because I still don't have a detailed report of the original issue. I just solved the issue I was having here, when changing combo values while playing.

I'm just trying to help so, If you are experimenting problems, please, report a detailed description of it and when it occurs (e.g. after changing chords, pressing some key, changing preset, ...) I can't do more.
josevo

Postby kortezzzz » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:00 am

Josevo,
Your last upload works solidly, but it just lacks the seeded arpeggio feature. By the way, I would love to read a short explanation about how those seeded arpeggios work. How do you calculate them in the Ruby code? This is one of most interesting random features I've ever saw in a sequencer.

Thank you, once again.
kortezzzz

Postby josevo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:33 pm

Thank you, kortezzzz!

Seeded Random ARP concept and how to implement it: (Second update)

The "random mode" of this Arpeggiator was working more or less like those of conventional commercial instruments, which was good but not enough interesting from the creative point of vue, because of the lack of the possibility of repetition.

So, I found interesting to combine the rand() function with the srand(seed), which resets the next rand() to the start of the sequence referenced by the seed value. What makes it even more interesting is the fact that, this way, the seed can represent millions of sequences without requiring memory, and it's easy to implement.

HOW TO "seed" the actual random ARP. Just add the following:

Code: Select all
def init()
   # Declare a variable e.g. @step = 0
    @step = 0 # required later by seeded random ARP
end

Locate the random calls and add the following code (change 973 to other values, it's the key/seed that references each rand sequence. BTW, if you put nothing, the sequence will seem to be random as the original because the system will chose it. ):

elsif(@mode==4) #Random
      # Add the following lines (for looping 8 steps) just before calls to rand():
      if (@step == 8)# Last step of sequence?
         #srand(seed) resets/restarts the random generator to the sequence
         srand(973)   # of seed 973 (seed can be seen as a sequence reference)
         @step = 0   # and restart step counter
      end
      @step+=1
      # ----- That's all
      @pos =(rand()*@notes.length).to_i
      @rangeCount = (rand()*@range).to_i
    end

You can find more comments in the example. It is simplified for a better understanding and mouldability.
Attachments
SimpleArp8DemoOriginal_WithSeedRandComments.fsm
(148.15 KiB) Downloaded 765 times
Last edited by josevo on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
josevo

Postby kortezzzz » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:08 am

josevo wrote:Thank you, kortezzzz!

Seeded Random ARP concept (explained briefly):

The "random mode" of this Arpeggiator was working more or less like those of conventional commercial instruments, which was good but not enough interesting from the creative point of vue, because of the lack of the possibility of repetition.

So, I found interesting to combine the rand() function with the srand(seed), which resets the next rand() to the start of a new sequence, referenced by the seed value.

# HOW TO implement a "seed routine" to an existing random ARP:
def init()
   # Declare a variable e.g. @step = 0
    @step = 0 # required later by seeded random ARP
end

In this case, srand() is called at the end of the steps of each loop. The following code is executed once per note about to be played.

elsif(@mode==4) #Random
      # Add the following lines (for looping 8 steps) just before calls to rand():
      if (@step == 8)# Last step of sequence?
         #srand(seed) resets/restarts the random generator to the sequence
         srand(973)   # of seed 973 (seed can be seen as a sequence reference)
         @step = 0   # and restart step counter
      end
      @step+=1
      # ----- That's all
      @pos =(rand()*@notes.length).to_i
      @rangeCount = (rand()*@range).to_i
    end

You can find more comments in the example. It is simplified for a better understanding and mouldability.

Beautiful Josevo 8-)
Thank you so much for the explanation, the examples and your fantastic job with Ruby teaching. Keep it coming ;)
kortezzzz

Postby josevo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:32 am

kortezzzz wrote:Beautiful Josevo 8-)
Thank you so much for the explanation, the examples and your fantastic job with Ruby teaching. Keep it coming ;)

You're welcome!

By the way, RUBY is not my mother language, so I write it with a strong C and Pascal accent :lol:
josevo

Postby kortezzzz » Sat May 01, 2021 6:34 am

josevo wrote:By the way, RUBY is not my mother language, so I write it with a strong C and Pascal accent :lol:

That's very interesting. Are you using any other languages to develop plugins or audio software?
kortezzzz

Postby josevo » Sat May 01, 2021 11:03 pm

I used C++ and Delphi pascal for decades, not for audio related projects though.

Nevertheless, I gave a little try to an VST synth using WDL-OL libraries some time ago, following Martin Finke's blog, but I finally came to the conclusion that there wasn't a considerable difference (compared to FS) in terms of latency and sound quality, to continue using archaic and tedious ways of programming.

Now, to be honest, I don't own a business and I'm not selling VST pluggins; at least, right now. I'm just learning how to use this beast called flowstone because it's the most productive development environment I've ever had the chance to use in my life. It's so "straight-forward" that I didn't even need the documentation to create a complete synthesizer with it, for the first time.

By the way, regarding the syncronization, I made this VST using flowstone without ruby frame for sync, and it works with no important issues here.

TESTARP.zip
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 785 times

It's got 2 arp/seq modes, arp notes indexes (as common arpeggiators) and chord mode for the sequencer, which studies the scales following scale mode rules (lidian, mixolidian, ...) as you can see in the figure:
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (110.96 KiB) Viewed 15592 times

Although it's not finished yet (because I have more works in progress), I hope you will enjoy the instrument and catch the idea. :idea: ;)
josevo

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples