Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Simple Arp

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Simple Arp

Postby kortezzzz » Sun May 02, 2021 10:20 am

josevo wrote:I used C++ and Delphi pascal for decades, not for audio related projects though.

Nevertheless, I gave a little try to an VST synth using WDL-OL libraries some time ago, following Martin Finke's blog, but I finally came to the conclusion that there wasn't a considerable difference (compared to FS) in terms of latency and sound quality, to continue using archaic and tedious ways of programming.

Now, to be honest, I don't own a business and I'm not selling VST pluggins; at least, right now. I'm just learning how to use this beast called flowstone because it's the most productive development environment I've ever had the chance to use in my life. It's so "straight-forward" that I didn't even need the documentation to create a complete synthesizer with it, for the first time.

Well, yes, I can agree that FS is really cool and moreover, opens the universe of software development even for very poor skilled coders like me. But it still suffers from the not-existence of cross platform plugin rendering (for mac, linux, andorid, etc) and yet doesn't support a decent sample adopting method (like disk reading) nor advanced midi handling (for instance, working with midi files), so knowing other languages still has it's strong x-factor.

About your plugin: I tested it and it's sounds full of potential, but still needs a hard cooking. The syncing with the DAW bpm is yet not perfect and the step sequencer GUI is quite confusing. Also, the virtual keyboard doesn't respond to pressing ( I have no idea if that what you've been meant to do or just a bug...)

But overall it creates powerful and very musical note combinations and that's a huge reason to wait for a progress.

Thanks for sharing and keep it coming 8-)
kortezzzz

Postby josevo » Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 am

I could not agree more.

This one is a little better and it includes help in some presets.
I tested it with 5 instances playing different arpeggios at the same time.
Attachments
TestArp02b.zip
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 853 times
josevo

Postby kortezzzz » Tue May 04, 2021 11:53 pm

Yes, lot better now :D
Syncing work just fine and it sounds very "Nexusic" now. I wonder if the "random seed" option can be somehow integrated. I mean it generates a random seeded arpeggio and the note combination is automatically translated to drawn notes in the piano roll. That would be lovely as a feature.
kortezzzz

Postby Halon » Wed May 05, 2021 9:55 am

Wonderful!
Halon

Postby josevo » Wed May 05, 2021 10:03 pm

Thank you, Halon!

And yes, that's the idea , Kortezzzz.

:idea: A kind of "discovery arp" and "discovery seq" modes with the possibility of transferring the sequence you like to the "piano roll". It would be very inspirational and useful.
josevo

Postby kortezzzz » Wed May 05, 2021 10:11 pm

Good luck, Josevo. I would love to see the results. Anyway, another idea: Your random arpeggios generate 8 notes sequences. You can somehow make it generate upto 32 pure random notes and you're making something supreme ;)
kortezzzz

Postby josevo » Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 am

Fractal formulas are better than random values for music creation.
I just came up with a formula based on Z[n+1] = Z[n]^2+C
I made C = constant value (aka discovery) + position index
"...Et voilà, un universe de possibilités." :idea:

P.S :arrow: Now, even more editable.
Attachments
TestArp03b.zip
(4.28 MiB) Downloaded 797 times
josevo

Postby Halon » Sat May 15, 2021 2:37 am

Thank you :)
Halon

Postby kortezzzz » Thu May 20, 2021 9:35 am

josevo wrote:Fractal formulas are better than random values for music creation.
I just came up with a formula based on Z[n+1] = Z[n]^2+C
I made C = constant value (aka discovery) + position index
"...Et voilà, un universe de possibilités." :idea:

P.S :arrow: Now, even more editable.

It's definitely is! The editing aspect makes it much powerful now. The combination of generating thousands of randomized arpeggios with zero programming efforts + editing possibilities would make it even greater.

I have another question: I saw that your original code keeps generating 8 notes arpeggio combinations, no matter what is the actual selected speed \ numerator. I guess what it's actually doing is to play the first notes before it resets to zero according to the numerator (for example, in 1\6 mode, the time signature is actually set to 3\4 and only 6 of the 8 generated notes will play before it resets to zero).

I tried to do something interesting and increased the number of the generated notes to double size by changing the line "(step == 8) to "(step == @a)". then connected a knob to the ruby module which can change @a to 16 and back to 8. It worked and the arpeggiator started generating 16 notes combination seeds which is awesome! but when I went back to 8, it doesn't goes back to the original combination smoothly but kinda freaks out and looses the it's focus.

Perhaps it needs some kind of pos resetting or something every time the number of the steps get changed so it would go back to the original sequence? There is any way to do that?

Thank you once again, J.
kortezzzz

Postby josevo » Mon May 24, 2021 1:37 am

kortezzzz wrote:
I tried to do something interesting and increased the number of the generated notes to double size by changing the line "(step == 8) to "(step == @a)". then connected a knob to the ruby module which can change @a to 16 and back to 8. It worked and the arpeggiator started generating 16 notes combination seeds which is awesome! but when I went back to 8, it doesn't goes back to the original combination smoothly but kinda freaks out and looses the it's focus.

I'm expecting that if the comparison regresses to step==8 while it is surpassed (when playing 16 steps), the counter doesn't reach the value and keeps growing forever.

Try this:
Code: Select all
if (@step >= @a)

instead of
Code: Select all
if (@step == @a)

That's why I don't like using == for stopping or resetting counters; although it's good for explaining concepts.
josevo

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples